Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BFR, bruce, HY16, Jesse N, John JDS, kcamcmahon, marc g, Mike Kennedy, NVG, OutdoorsFreak, ReenaC, RenoFrank, Rico Borchia, runemilrun, Select your Orga, Snacking Bear, Team Dirty Boots, terraelise
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #4904 06/04/2010 5:44 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Out-of-date Mt Whitney Trail Conditions -- 2023

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.
Liked Replies
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #57763 Jul 22nd a 07:37 PM
by Big Pine
Big Pine
I made it up to the top on July 20. Some highlights:

- No snow or ice on the trail (this applies to the Main Trail; there may or may not be some snow and/or ice on the Mountaineer's Route)
- No issues with getting your feet wet at any of the stream crossings despite some recent afternoon rain showers
- There's plenty of water flowing on the lower switchbacks. Last water source is about halfway between Trail Camp and the cables.
- There were a ton of WAG bags on the trail this time. Ugh!
- I saw a ranger at Trail Camp at around 1 PM who picked up the trash and the WAG bags I saw earlier that morning. He didn't ask for my permit but may have checked others.
- Traffic (number of hikers on the trail, number of tents at Outpost and Trail Camps, and number of cars in the parking lot) seems to have returned to normal.
- There are 3-4 boulders on the trail, probably from the earthquake, but they're all very easy to go around. There were no rockslides that day.
- There are plenty of WAG bags available at the trailhead.
- Bugs are present but are barely noticeable. No need for headnets or insect repellent.
- The sky pilots in the higher elevations (over 13,200' ish) are blooming, but those in the lower elevations (~12.5K - 13.2K feet?) seem to have wilted. There are still some nice purple flowers in Trailside Meadow.
- I didn't take Diamox and didn't have any problems with the altitude. For acclimatization, I drove from sea level to Mammoth Lakes (8000') on Friday afternoon (7/17), did a short one-mile hike from 9000' - 9300' on Saturday afternoon (7/18), drove from Mammoth to Whitney Portal Sunday afternoon/evening (7/19), and started hiking the Whitney Trail early Monday morning (7/20) just after midnight. I found that a similar acclimatization schedule has worked for me in the past, but I do get AMS symptoms if I go from sea level to 11000' without spending at least one night at 7000' or higher.
- The summit register is back in its original location. Based on the number of entries in the register and the number of people I saw on the upper portion of the trail, I'd estimate that 30-40 people made it to the top that day.

Approximate weather & sunrise timeline:
4:30 AM: Skies are no longer pitch-black. You can tell that it's slightly brighter in the east than it is in the west.
5:25 AM: No need for headlamps
5:44 AM: Sun appears above the horizon
6 AM - 9 AM: Almost completely clear skies
8:55 AM: First small cloud appears in the west
11:30 AM: Skies in the west are almost completely overcast, can't believe that some people are still heading up even though they're 2 miles from the summit
12:30 - 1 PM: Got rained on at the lower switchbacks. It's more like a drizzle than a downpour.
3 PM: Got rained on again between Mirror Lake and Trailside Meadow, but the rain isn't heavy or long. Heard some thunder in the distance.
4 PM - 5 PM: No rain, but cloudy and breezy
6 PM: Mostly clear skies and calm winds again
3 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58602 May 8th a 06:03 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
Monday, May 3, I checked Recreation.gov online and saw a bunch of overnight permits, so I couldn't resist. I grabbed one for next day, and off I went. I climbed to Trail Camp on Tuesday, and Wednesday, worked on the snow at the cables. The cables are now clear for the season (I hope, unless some of the wall caves).

I hiked to the summit on Thursday only using hiking boots and hiking poles, but microspikes would be advisable. Crampons would be tough to use since there is so much dry trail between the snow-covered spots.

By Memorial Weekend, nobody will be able to use the chute to climb--too much postholing through to rocks, and no glissading, due to thin snow and the danger of hitting your butt on rocks. I don't know if ALL the snow will be gone from the trail. Currently the worst/trickiest spot left is the top switchback, just before Trail Crest.

Here's the picture at The Cables -- cleared down to bedrock, except for a layer of ice, so they could be slippery.
[Linked Image]
3 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58610 May 8th a 10:29 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
Worked all day on that section on Wednesday. Climbed from Trail Camp to the summit and back on Wednesday.

The knee is doing great! Absolutely no issues at all--pretty much forget that it's not the original equipment. Unfortunately the ankle below is the problem now. I have to wear a super stiff brace, and have to baby it when descending. Broke it 50 years ago, and I think favoring it over the years may have caused the knee issues. Looking ahead to a possible replacement.

By the way, if I make the cables-shoveling trip an annual, would anyone like to join me next year? We could do that with better planning. When to go also depends on the winter's snowfall levels.

It's almost comical over on FB, a few haters are condemning the work as making it too easy for people. My entire reason is to clear the cables so people will stop using the chute where most of the spring-time injuries and SAR rescues occur. Just last week, two hikers asked a third (who they had helped with food/water) if she would show them how to glissade. She got them started, but forgot to tell them they needed an ice axe. One crashed & had to be flown out. It's these types of stories that I hope clearing the cables will help to prevent.
3 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #57716 Jul 15th a 09:34 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
Pictures from Chetan B, July 11, 2020.

The cables
[Linked Image]

The only snow left, near the summit
[Linked Image]

Near the summit, looking back at the Needles.
[Linked Image]

The NEOWISE comment from Trail Camp
[Linked Image]
2 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #57682 Jul 10th a 05:14 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
BP posted the following in another thread:
Originally Posted by Big Pine
I did a stroll to trail camp on July 6 and noticed the following:

- Not as many people as usual, but it's still much more crowded than most trails in the Sierras. There were a few people at Lone Pine Lake, one tent at Outpost Camp, and several tents at Trail Camp.
- Very minor trail damage from the earthquake. There were some sections that were blocked by rocks or downed trees, but they're all very easy to go around.
- One unstable boulder slid a couple hundred feet down a slope in the afternoon. You could see and hear the slide from Trailside Meadow, but the slide was nowhere near the main trail.
- No issues with getting your feet wet at any of the stream crossings.
- The Portal Store is open, and parking isn't a problem.
- No snow on the trail until at least Trail Camp. Some people told me that the only snow on the trail is at the cables (easily bypassed) and isolated patches near the summit (no microspikes needed), but I was unable to verify.
- I saw discarded food wrappings and even a hat on the trail. But thankfully, the only WAG bags I saw were at the trailhead.
- Bugs aren't a problem except below Lone Pine Lake in the evening.
- There are some flowers on the trail but not as many as last July.
- Reports on the summit register are mixed. Some said it's missing, others said it's been moved inside the hut.
2 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59386 Feb 3rd a 03:33 AM
by bobpickering
bobpickering
NVG sent me a PM and has posted some questions. I'm replying here, rather than privately, so others might benefit.

Conditions can change drastically. The snow conditions on the mountain make a huge difference. I've dayhiked Whitney in every month of the year, but I waited for near-perfect conditions in the colder months. If there is fresh snow, I stay home until it consolidates. We haven't had any meaningful snow in a month, so conditions on the mountain are probably as good as they ever get in the winter. The next storms, whenever they arrive, will make it much tougher, if not impossible, for a few days if not weeks.

There are three gates that can be locked, keeping all cars out. They always lock the lowest gate in the spring while they are clearing rocks off the road and getting ready for tourist season. In my experience, that gate has often been open during the winter. They post a "ROAD CLOSED" sign by the gate. Sometimes, they ticket vehicles that drive around, and sometimes they don't. If you drive around and get stuck, or a storm buries your vehicle, you are basically screwed. Depending on conditions, I have had to park below that sign, I have driven partway up, and I have parked near the campground. Read the posts online or post a question about the road just before you go. There is no way to know the status of the road and gates weeks in advance.

Whitney is a non-trivial undertaking under ideal conditions. Many people train and plan for months, take two or three days, and still don't make it, even in the summer when the road is open, there is no snow, and the weather is perfect. On the other hand, RichardP, who posts on WPSMB, dayhiked Whitney every week for 52 weeks. It can be done. Just be aware that cold weather, short days, snow hiding the trail, and a long hike to the trailhead all make it much harder.

My advice is that you need plenty of winter experience, you need to know the route, and you need to be comfortable with thin air to attempt a winter backpacking trip. To dayhike it, you have to think about what you would do if things didn't go perfectly. A minor injury or a frozen water bottle could spoil your whole day. You don't want to be cold, exhausted, and out of food as you stagger through Trail Camp in the dark on the way down.

Good luck. Be safe. Have fun.

Edit: The Mountaineers’ Route requires some technical skills (and maybe a rope) in the winter, but it’s much shorter and quicker than the main trail. Maybe it’s for you, and maybe it isn’t. Choose wisely.
2 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58572 May 3rd a 08:42 PM
by Ben920
Ben920
Any updates for when the switchbacks will be passable without crampons/ice axe recommended?

Looking at May 24th day hike with microspikes.
We have summitted Whitney twice before with some snow on switchbacks and have some other experience hiking in snowy conditions.
2 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58613 May 9th a 12:08 AM
by bobpickering
bobpickering
If you saw it on Facebook, it's probably BS. People are complaining that the shoveling promotes ice formation and makes it more dangerous. Come on, people! If a freshly shoveled trail with a bleepin' handrail is too dangerous for you, you don't belong there!
2 members like this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59445 Mar 24th a 05:13 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
Here are some recent pictures from the North Fork -- provided by Connie Kim. They were taken March 19, 2022.

Whitney Portal
[Linked Image]

North Fork Lone Pine Creek -- where the Main Trail crosses.
[Linked Image]

In the North Fork -- Mountaineers Route approach
[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #60173 Jul 30th a 10:48 PM
by fit2climb
fit2climb
WanderingJim,

I'm headed up tomorrow. I'm hiking the west approach to Whitney from NAP. I'll give a full trip report as soon as arrive at the portal.

From what I have heard on AllTrails, a hiker has used the 99 switchbacks on the way up from trail camp. He reported using ice axe and crampons. He came down the snow field on his decent. I may use the switchbacks to give an established route if it looks safe. I will bring all my mountaineering equipment and possibly a shovel.

-Mike
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59526 Apr 26th a 04:33 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
I called the Inyo County road department, and the best thing I could get was "They're working on it" and it will open "any day now". The phone person took my number and said she would ask the person in charge to call me....

The link to the roads page is at the bottom of the Road Dept page.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59535 Apr 27th a 04:01 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
As of this evening, April 26, 2022, the Inyo County Roads page shows the Whitney Portal ROAD IS OPEN!

Originally Posted by Steve C
I called the Inyo County road department, and the best thing I could get was "They're working on it" and it will open "any day now". The phone person took my number and said she would ask the person in charge to call me....

The link to the roads page is at the bottom of the Road Dept page.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59578 May 12th a 12:33 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
Take ice axe and crampons -- At some point you will need them. The only unknown is where.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59517 Apr 18th a 07:15 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
"Elevatedtv" climbed Mt Whitney via the Main Trail on 4/12/22, spending one night at Outpost Camp.

His trip report is here: Mt Whitney Trail 4/12/2022

Here are some of the pictures:

Main trail half a mile above Whitney Portal
[Linked Image]

Outpost Camp
[Linked Image]

Mirror Lake
[Linked Image]

Looking down at Trail Camp
[Linked Image]

The Cables Section
[Linked Image]

The Cables
[Linked Image]

Approaching Trail Crest
[Linked Image]

The crest, past Trail Crest
[Linked Image]

The Summit Hut
[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59614 May 23rd a 12:02 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
Here is a picture posted on May 20 of the Cables. I read a report that the chute (west of the switchbacks) was too soft to climb. The person reported they downclimbed the trail, and thought people should at least have microspikes at two places -- at the cables, and I am assuming, the final switchback before Trail Crest.

Here's the picture at the Cables.

[Linked Image]

The spot farthest in the distance is the worst. same picture, zoomed in.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59625 Jun 1st a 07:04 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
I found this report from a May 27:

"Zero people took the chute. It was full of rocks and I would say it is done for the season without a large snowfall. On the main trail there is maybe 25 feet of total snow to walk thru. We brought microspikes and considered putting them on while descending but with poles and sticking to the rocks it's totally fine."

Here's a picture at the cables on the switchbacks, posted May 29, 2022, by "Fox Adventures" on Facebook:
[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59627 Jun 5th a 12:15 AM
by MGEORGE
MGEORGE
Following up on my beta request, I can confirm that the trail is completely possible without traction as of June 3rd 2022. A few notes:

-- Left trail camp around 5am. The first few hundred vertical feet were sometimes icy from snowmelt the day prior. This was easily passable without traction.
-- The cables have a completely snow free path (about 8 inches wide on average). There is a snowbank to your right (ascending) that requires a good hand hold or pole hold to feel secure. No traction is needed as the foot path is snow free.
-- There is a small snowfield about 750 vertical feet below the summit. There is a very deep and very secure path trodden in, and requires no traction.
-- While at trailcamp, there were a few instances of what sounded like significant rockfall. I wasn't able to spot it, but sounded like it was coming from somewhere near the east face/mountaineers route.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59632 Jun 6th a 05:31 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
Originally Posted by RenoFrank
This snowbank, is it on your right (ascending)?

Frank, watching his video, it's on the right, on a switchback or two above the cables section.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #60110 Jun 11th a 08:06 PM
by Mattmac
Mattmac
Just summited the Whitney on June 9th. Checkout my video to see hiking conditions. Best of luck for those about to summit! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC1a7uews-g
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #60116 Jun 12th a 04:56 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
Thank you Matt & Jennifer. Your video really shows people what the current conditions are like this year: Full snow, from Outpost Camp to the summit.

Here is set of pictures in the "Trip Reports" forum by LostInMtn: Mt. Whitney via Whitney Trail 6/8 - 6/9/2023
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #60172 Jul 30th a 06:29 PM
by WanderingJim
WanderingJim
Are the switchbacks being used at all?

Anyone been up the west side lately?

Still 3 weeks before I'll approach from that side, but starting to collect ground condition info.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59419 Feb 22nd a 11:22 PM
by Brett
Brett
Great trip report NVG, glad you had a safe trip.

Just to close the loop in this thread as well, here is a general summary of current conditions as of 20FEB22:

Road up to the portal is closed approx. 1.5mi from Whitney trailhead. The road is mostly clear up to that point besides a few instances of rockfall and a patch or two of ice, but it is mostly passable.
Although, we havent gotten too much snow this year and have seen record temps in the state the snowpack is still very much in winter conditions. Additionally, snow conditions are extremely variable ranging from hard wind buffed areas to fluff to straight up Sierra cement.
Commonly trafficked trails in the Whitney basin may have a great boot pack, but other routes may prove challenging for all but the most determined snowshoe cowboys. Factor difficult travel into your itinerary and make sure you have the proper gear and 4-season clothing.

That being said, there should be some more snow on the way over the next two weeks so these conditions are bound to be obsolete soon.

Here are a few pics that show the conditions over in the Meysan Basin are in this album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fp4P6b1nJUK6aZZt9
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59385 Feb 2nd a 08:18 PM
by LostInMtn
LostInMtn
Most likely the conditions will drastically change by March. I don't think it'll be possible to do a day hike or even safe to take this route, if we get heavy snow again.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #59040 Jul 14th a 07:00 PM
by eje67
eje67
Originally Posted by prems
I am going up this Saturday and would appreciate if any of you who went up recently update the status of the Spring on the Switchbacks

It's still flowing as of yesterday (July 13th), have a good trip!
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58763 May 26th a 09:39 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
Benc, thanks. Here are some of the pics. Hope I get the location right...
I really appreciate your sharing these pictures. They go a long way showing everyone the trickiest parts of the switchbacks. Thanks so much!!

Also glad to see the shoveled section at the cables is remaining clear. The recent snowfall added some iciness, but otherwise, it's a good path.

Just below the cables:

At the Cables, looking east

At the Cables, looking east

Top section of the cables

Above the cables. It's a short scramble to get up this spot

The section near Trail Crest
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58713 May 20th a 05:44 PM
by Mike-Sth.African
Mike-Sth.African
Severe Weather Advisory - Mt. Whitney 5/20/2021 - 5/22/2021

Going to be cold and windy up there this weekend.

Heading out at about 9am on Saturday with an overnight at trail camp.

Be safe and prepared if you’re heading out this weekend.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58603 May 8th a 03:02 PM
by G4u2
G4u2
That is awesome Steve! I'm assuming the knee is doing great then!

How far up did you go? Did you make to Trailcrest?

Best,

Gustavo
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58592 May 6th a 04:58 PM
by timepass
timepass
I plan to be on the Whitney Trail along with few friends during Memorial Day weekend as well. I am hoping to run into fellow hikers from this forum. I will be watching this space for trail conditions. I am planning to post my pictures after the hike.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58590 May 6th a 12:24 PM
by Tariq M Nasim
Tariq M Nasim
We went to the summit on May 4 (day hike). There were lots of snow on the switchbacks and it was quite risky at some points. We had crampons, but didn't have ice-axe (better have one in this condition).

Some photos from the 99 switchbacks:
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/TewbS1K1sXErnWvy5[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/zkHjxgJcubQjiFBs6[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/E1gXLYBMUsmNxzoL7[/img]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58580 May 5th a 03:37 PM
by zoe
zoe
@ben920 Would love to hear about your experience once you've gone!! I'll be there Memorial Day Weekend. I've made it up to Trail Camp in snow, but it was waist-deep there so we turned around (first big snow of the year, couldn't even see the switchbacks.) My second attempt, everything was totally dry.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58535 Apr 27th a 03:38 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
Originally Posted by dukeo
I traversed the switchbacks on Saturday Apr 24. A little sketchy, used an ice ax and would recommend those far above trekking poles. Did not have crampons, though I would recommend them. Most ppl seems to be taking the chute though

https://photos.app.goo.gl/auTT8vCZfRMpRf6y5
Thanks dukeo. I am reposting your picture at the cables here.
[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58525 Apr 26th a 04:49 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
ReenaC: I have seen somewhere in the past week that a few people were using the switchbacks already. The same report said something about the area near the cables was "sketchy", which to me means difficult, but they could get through.
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58505 Apr 21st a 04:37 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
runmilrun, If you are referring to the steep slope that you can see in the switchbacks picture, posted 04/08/21 10:56 PM (#58468), yes, that is the picture. However, this picture gives you a better perspective of how steep it is:

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this
Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail #58472 Apr 10th a 06:29 AM
by Steve C
Steve C
Ryan C, here's a pic of Whitney from Mt Russell, taken by Brandon R.

click for the full-size version
[Linked Image]

1 member likes this