Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3957 Members
10 Forums
5764 Topics
52105 Posts

Max Online: 1443 @ 07/29/19 08:40 AM
Topic Options
#4904 - 06/04/10 10:44 AM Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This thread is designed to hold posts displaying pictures and describing the current conditions of the Main Mount Whitney Trail (MMWT).  I hope everyone will contribute.

Please feel free to post pictures of your own or from any source (please post a reference to the original location), so that everyone can come here and easily find/read/see the conditions.

Older posts will be moved as conditions change. (As a result, some posts may appear to answer comments that are no longer in the thread.)

Thanks for everyone's help. Your posting trip reports helps untold numbers of hikers following you.

Older posts moved here:   Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2019 (Old)

Note: Sometimes this thread spans a number of pages. You can click through all the pages, or click here to display all in one page.

#55723 - 07/14/19 02:39 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Konrad Offline

Loc: Pacific Beach
Really appreciate everyone who contributes to this web-page. Googling Trail Conditions found it and believe it provides the most useful and current updates. Starting on the JMT with my daughter on July 25, from Whitney Portal. Most interested in learning whether will need to bring micro-spikes (appears increasingly like probably will not be necessary). Also, like post, am interested in updates regarding Forester Pass conditions. Again, thank you to all who post and share your knowledge and experiences.

#55834 - 07/28/19 02:01 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
terraelise Offline

Loc: CA
Compared to 2 weeks ago: The parking lot is full to the point of parking far away / on the shoulder. The creek crossings are still high, but much lower. The trail was borderline crowded, though I veered off and enjoyed the hike up to Lower Boyscout - ledge scrambling was doable even for me (I have fears), my feet drenched from the two crossings, the ants were a constant annoyance, but there was stunning flower blooms with lots of butterflies. The Whitney view was astounding! I didn't continue because I was over tired and almost barfed trying to eat - it's rough to drive from 500 to 8400 ft then hike 3 miles to over 10k for me!

Anyhow, I saw helmets and ropes and people covered in sunblock, but no longer crampons and few axes so the snow must be minimal and I couldn't see much at all from lower on the trail, though even small patches can seem large when traversing. Reports of pika and grouse sightings with babies from smiling pairs coming down. I think it's weird that tours are allowed: the people in tow did not seem to have the needed experience for that route, IMO, and the store owner laughed and said the group I saw had called it quits when I mentioned now not-fun the leader's face looked.

Be safe - get experience and enjoy the place w/o summit fever. Please, pick up your trash, incl toilet paper!

#55842 - 07/29/19 08:42 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: terraelise]
Halfdomer Homer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Summited (No.7) on July 27th at 11:00 AM, no AMS, beautiful weather probably the best I've ever seen! Creek crossings were very high, there were people turning back from Lone Pine North Fork crossing, a lot of the rocks were covered in water, crossing before Mirror Lake was tough (thank goodness for waterproof La Sportiva Spires!).. Minor snow patches after Trailside Meadow, 99th switchback, and .5 from summit, but no prob without traction devices. The back 1.9 was a lot easier than other years because of trail maintenance, they really smoothed out a lot of the dangerous rough boulder-hopping spots! Summit weather was probably in the 50's, (I have never experienced it so warm up there) and practically no wind, no clouds, clear and visibility for hundreds of miles (I could see San Gorgonio). Took the old trail down from Lone Pine Creek crossing because the water was so high. The old trail is in great condition, someone cleared it up very nicely. The next few days are going to be very good for summiting.

Cheers!
-Dan

#55850 - 07/30/19 03:23 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Halfdomer Homer]
DixieFlyer Offline

Loc: AZ
I have a day hike permit on 8/1, and today I went from the TH to Lone Pine Lake just to check that portion of the trail out. I had no problem with the creek crossing -- if you are careful and have a good sense of balance you should be able to get across and keep your feet dry. If you have GTX hiking boots you could just walk across in the water and not worry about stepping on the rocks to keep your feet dry.

#55852 - 07/31/19 07:39 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Madbutcher Offline

Loc: Felton, CA
I think someone already shared this site but here it is again.

Seems to have new photo's almost daily. Not the best resolution but good enough for snow. I been watching it melt around Lake Tulainyo.

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-p...showDates=false

Click the satellite icon (upper-left) to switch between trails and the sat. view.

I think you need Firefox to run it.

Edited by Steve C (08/06/19 11:28 AM)
Edit Reason: improve the URL, etc.

#55854 - 07/31/19 11:08 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: DixieFlyer]
Halfdomer Homer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I forgot to mention that it had rained for 3 days right before I went. Usually I have no prob crossing Lone Pine Creek. It was higher than I had ever seen on Sat. The water was rushing over the rocks that I use to cross. Didn't feel like taking off my boots!

#55865 - 08/01/19 03:36 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Madbutcher]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
The Sentinel images are available as "Weekly High-Res" on CalTopo.

#55884 - 08/06/19 11:52 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
View of the cables, July 29, 2019, posted on FB by Scott B

His summary:
Quote:
My wife and I, along with another couple, successfully reached the summit of Mount Whitney on July 29, 2019. We were so happy with the accomplishment as we are all first-timers and felt lucky to get a permit the first time applying.

Had microspikes but didn't use them. The worst part was the snow crossing just before the summit. Climbing up w/o spikes but with trekking poles wasn't bad. Coming down was sketchy since the snow was slushy and slippery - would use the spikes going down if I did it over again. The 99 switchbacks only had 2 that were abbreviated by snow and they weren't too icy in the morning. Be prepared for high winds and the wind chill that comes with it.

This posted on FB by James H
Quote:
Summited Monday 8/5 after 2 days from Cottonwood Pass.
...The snow patch below the summit was dicier than I expected, and we regretted leaving our spikes at the junction.
...Dicier than anticipated. It's not long, but there is some pucker factor for a scaredy cat like me.