Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3215 Members
13 Forums
5290 Topics
49322 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19
Topic Options
#51568 - 08/12/17 10:43 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
MrHoff Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Posted on Instagram by haydayhikes
North Fork Lone Pine Creek (approx. Aug 3)

Using the Old Trail for the first mile bypasses this -- it joins the main trail just a few yards after this crossing.

I crossed this stream by walking along the rocks. Used trekking poles for balance. No problem. Feet stayed totally dry.

#51571 - 08/13/17 12:41 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Anisha Sinha]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Originally Posted By: Anisha Sinha
Summited on August 10th, 2017....
Anisha Sinha: Great report. Thanks!

Several comments...
Weather: Mountain Forecast is good for temperatures, but in the past they have over-predicted the potential amounts of snowfall. I like NOAA better. Both are included in the links on the Mt Whitney Weather page, link is always above on the left, in the Feature Topics box.

Anisha wrote:
> The meadow before Outpost Camp has a few crossings too. Rangers installed a new log bridge over one of them as I came by (Thanks!)
It would be fantastic if someone could post a picture of the new log bridge!

> Critters, bugs and animals - Bear sightings (second hand report) in Whitney Portal campground (lock your food in the camp site's bear lockers).
MORE on this: Especially in the early-morning darkness: Do NOT set your pack down and walk away from it. And Do NOT open a bear box and leave it open while you walk back to your car. The bears know this is an excellent opportunity to lurk nearby, then run, grab a bag, and run off with it!!!

#51614 - 08/14/17 08:48 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Mac Offline

Loc: LosGatos CA
Anisha - If you were part of the two family group doing this adventure, we passed each other both days on the way up and down - a long day on the trail.

I filmed the coyote on the morning of the 10th on the back side (south?) of trail camp across the gully on the lower portion of the mountain slope, it was hunting for marmots in the rocks who where making quite a ruckus/distress call to their friends. It was quite a ways off but as we looked at one another for a bit, it retreated. I was able to grab my video camera and film, as it stopped several times to look back at me. I may have also saw a pup run through the rock croppings farther back near where the coyote was going but in blink of an eye unable to catch it on film?

I came across the new log bridge as the two rangers (guy and gal) were making adjustment chops to log. If I remember correctly is located just after Outpost going down/ before Outpost going up? As I approached, I asked should I be the guinea pig as they let me cross and tried to shake the log - its solid - I believe less than 10 feet/length and less than 1 foot/width.

Except brief period of light hail (extracted from tent) at trail camp evening of the 9th, weather was in line with forecasts.

#51667 - 08/16/17 10:54 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Brett Dean]
retarded Offline

Loc: SanFranfreako Bay Area
Originally Posted By: Brett Dean

I understand that the Portal has a "boil only" policy right now because of water issues, possible e. coli? in the water.

I did the day hike on 8/14 and camped at the family campground for two nights. Sorry I didn't take a picture but the warning on the campground taps implied that the water should be OK if your immune system is not compromised.

Thanks for those that shared this though as I brought extra water from home, likely full of medicine and chemicals people flush down the toilet (lol).

Overall condition of the trail on 8/14 was the same as noted prior, except the section at Outpost camp was heavily flooded in the early AM. This area was lightly flooded in the evening of the 14th.

Edited by retarded (08/16/17 10:55 AM)

#51786 - 08/22/17 02:58 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - New Log Bridge [Re: Mac]
Mark K Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH, USA
posted a picture of the new single log bridge

#51830 - 08/23/17 07:01 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - New Log Bridge [Re: Mark K]
WanderingJim Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Mark K
posted a picture of the new single log bridge

Just be careful on that log. It's not secured and shifted slightly when I went over it.

A couple of the long line of logs over Lone Pine Creek closer to the Portal also were not secured.

Nothing super dangerous, just don't go running across them expecting the log to stay where it is for the whole run. smile

Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19