I didn't mean to hijack Gary's thread, but I figure I need to respond before his wife reads that report and forbids him to walk more than 100 yards from the trailhead again.

Peter Noble wasn't the first person to die on Cathedral Peak, and he probably won't be the last. Popular peaks like Whitney, Shasta, and Cathedral attract a lot of people. Too many of those people make serious mistakes, and a few of them pay the price.

Cathedral peak is a spectacular climb on excellent, relatively easy rock. It's was my first multi-pitch climb (with a guide). When I learned to lead, it was my first multi-pitch lead. It's fairly easy for a relative newbie to follow an experienced leader up this route. There is always a rope above the second, so a fall will cause more damage to your pride than your body.

It takes me 2-4 hours to do the climb with a partner. I only take new partners when the days are warm and long. I'll take good care of Gary. And I guarantee it'll be the most fun he's ever had with his pants on!