Well, I'll start.

Two years ago I attempted to summit Mt Whitney. I was a "newbie", did all my research, got my gear, worked out, hiked and thought I had a good chance of making it. I had already conquered cancer and had a brand new hip that was just a few months old. A lot of people on the other board wished me luck, but one guy, Gary, Bulldog34, not only wished me luck, he said he would be with me the whole way in spirit from Atlanta. He wasn't just saying it either. Turns out, he woke up the morning of my hike and said he tried to figure where I might be at that hour. He thought about me during the day and would say to himself, "go Joe". He checked his watch and just kept hoping I had made it. Well, that first time, I hadn't. I wrote my TR and he wrote me quickly saying how disappointed he was for me. Now he did understand as I commented on his unsuccessful hike a few months earlier. One thing we knew was that we would both make it the next time.

I told him immediately that I was going again within the month. Gary was really happy I had chosen to do that and he knew I would get up the second time. I did make it and the first person I wrote was Gary. I did feel if I could do it, he could do it. After a couple of conversations, Gary and I decided to try again on his next trip in July 2010. I had never met Gary, just knew him from the boards, e-mails and calls. In the months before the trip, Gary helped me know what gear I would need. We decided what each of us would carry, what the dates would be approximately (since we didn't have permits yet) and where we would get together. I slept in my car at the Portal the night before I met Gary, his wonderful wife Barb and my favorite girl, his daughter Bri. I was a bit nervous because what if I didn't get along with this guy from Atlanta. But, his family was so warm and friendly, they made me feel like I was already a family member. Gary and I did hike Whitney. We spent the night at Consultation Lake and we summited together the next day. Gary made it, yes he did, but more than that, he became a buddy, a friend and found a place in my heart that I will always treasure. I know he's become friends with so many of you and you know how he just attracts good people and makes them all so comfortable.

Well, Gary called me today and told me he had good news and bad news. I said okay...... what's up. He told me the good news was he had gotten 4 one day reservations for permits for Mt Whitney for July 5th. He said the bad news was he couldn't make it. I wasn't sure what to say, but before I could say anything he said, "Joe, I made you the alternate leader for the hike and I'm sending these to you". I was kind of stunned. I mean it's going to be July and that's when I planned on going with Gary!!! I asked him what he was going to do. He said he IS COMING in July to summit Whitney with his family, just a couple of weeks later. I told him I would be there for him and his family and I was going to hike it with Gary, Barb and Bri. Those have been our plans for a year. Not just Gary's, but Barbs and Bri's plans. I really want to be there for Bri.

So, that is the Gary we have come to know. When he say's he's your buddy, he takes it serious and is as good as it gets.

Now, back to the good and bad news. Maybe Gary was telling me that the bad news was I'm gonna have to do Whitney TWICE in July.

Thanks again Gary, Barb and Bri. I know it was a tough night and you have some dates to pick.

Because of Gary....Put me down for July 5th, Dayhike

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier