Hi Kent, yes wazzu, DJ and I all survived. Wazzu was the smartest, with a nice private room with microwave, coffee, TV, breakfast and cold air conditioning. DJ and I shared bunks and I ended up with about 4 hours sleep. McDonalds was the breakfast of choice early A.M.. And yes, that jerk Gary did wake me from Atlanta at 4:30 A.M.

Once I learn how to put videos up, I will do it. This marathon is a bit different than the Boston for several reasons: Trails not marked well, dirt and sand, a start at 5100 feet that goes to 6300 feet in the first 2.5 miles. Add several creek crossings, more sand and rocks, some light bush-wacking and you have it......ooooops, I forgot the "RATTLESNAKES"!!!!!!! Not one, but TWO! DJ ran across one stretched out on Hogback road, while we both saw a nice rattler on Movie Road, near Mother Hill. The second rattler didn't much appreciate us almost stepping on him and warned us, rattles, striking pose and his tongue sticking in and out quickly. Thoughts of Rattlesnakes certainly made the last 5 miles interesting as it was on a very narrow and steep horse trail.

I don't want to give people the wrong idea about me running this thing, as I didn't. I ran approximately 7 to 8 miles of it and walked the rest. Since all I've done is hiked the last few years I haven't run much because of my new hip, and it showed after mile 16. My buddy DJ is a Chiropractor and he worked on my knee several times in the last few miles. At the last aid station, there was a woman who was completely conked out, sprawled out on the ground in agonizing pain from cramps. DJ went to her aid and after several minutes, we headed back to reach the finish line.

It is absolutely Beautiful around the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine. Add in the spectacular views of the Sierra's, capped off by Mt Whitney and you can't ask for more. Wazzu, my buddy DJ and I did our own pace and separated after a few miles, but after mile 18, we got back together and bitched and complained on WHY we were doing this to ourselves. The temperature was a bit hotter than expected, so sunscreen was a must, and I'm not sure if I've ever enjoyed the water/aid stations as much as I did this time.

No world record in this marathon as we all finished together in 8.5 hours, slower than I thought we would do, but since the downhill running kind of made my left knee totally unusable, I figure that's not bad since I looked like Quasimodo in the last few miles of horse trail. Yes, about 3 hours slower than DJ's and my time in 1999, but we're still pumping and still keeping the dream alive. I think the best thing about this marathon is how friendly and caring everyone is. The organizers really enjoy being of help and asking you if you need anything to help you finish. Aid stations were supplied with pain relievers, sunscreen, salt crystals, sodas, Snickers, Cytomax, tons of fruit, juices, cookies, chips and one even had guacamole and chips. The worst thing about this marathon is the trail markings. Many people got lost!

But....You can't beat Mt Whitney Views!!!!!!

Wazzu.....thanks so much for the Snickers Bars. Gary will NEVER, ever have as many as I now have :-)

As a note, I have never seen so may snakes along the 395. Most of the snakes looked like rattlers and gopher snakes. And, several were two to three feet long. The majority were alive on the sides of the road waiting to cross and warming their bellies, but there were may dead snakes also.

And DUG.....setting out cones at 12:00 noon at Badwater so you can do a run......sounds like HEAVEN!!!! It's nice to know you're as sick as I am. I can't imagine anything more FUN than that. Now I gotta call DJ and tell him what we're doing next!

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier