Hi all -- My husband and I plan to do Whitney on an overnight permit on September 4 -5. I've been reading this forum and wondering if I could get some advice.

a) Onion Valley vs. Portal: We're spending 2 nights camping to acclimate. Is it worth staying at Onion Valley at 9200 vs Portal at 8300 or so. Will the extra 900 feet make a difference? Are there other advantages to staying at Portal?

b) Outpost vs. Trail: Current plan is to camp at Outpost and try to Summit the next day, and make it back to camp at Outpost again. Is it worth it to try to make trail? I'm concerned I won't feel like eating and get a headache camping at 12,000 feet.

c) Water from Trail to Summit: I've got a prescription for Diamox and read you need more water. Will 3 L be enough? I weigh 110 lbs.

d) Pack weight: I've read that you should not carry more than 25% of body weight. Is is true that men can carry more? I'm trying to tell my husband that. He's almost there.

e) Food: Any good suggestions on food? My husband doesn't really like freeze dried. But he doesn't want to do dishes. Are there easy non-freeze dried foods (besides PB&J). I pretty much lose my appetite for anything except chocolate and nuts, but altitude does not affect him. We've tried several, including Mary Jane's and Mountain House and wonder if there's something else.

f) Weather: I was wondering how cold it gets at night? I was planning on bringing at 40 degree bag and a Pantagonia down sweater and gloves but looking at pictures, it doesn't look that cold. We have a tent. I'm wondering if I can ditch the down sweater and just bring a fleece vest.

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated !!