Originally Posted By: Julie
Steve C, Akichow, Tdz: I've been a huge fan of your posts. Great advice. I loved Akichow's reports, and the story about Rabbit, Steve's Gearhead advice, and Tdz's Crazy 8 and am sure there are many like me.

I weighed my pack last weekend -- 12 pounds without water and meals. With 4 L of water that'll add 8 pounds, but it sounds like I can cut it to 3 pounds. So, by my math, I can carry about 22 pounds, or 25 percent of my body weight (I weigh 110) and my Sherpa can carry 45 (he weighs 170). He's a little dubious. 12 pounds is a Golite Pinnacle XS women's pack, Marmot summer bag, Thermarest Neoair, poles, camelback, bottles, trekking poles, camera, clothes including down sweater, rain jacket, snacks. He'll carry similar but will take the tent, Big Agnes Fly Creek and footpad, the bear bin, and meals.

Main concern is the altitude factor. We've been doing Baldy which is only 10K. We did that 3 times, alternating with doing trails like Cucamonga Peak and the 3 Ts. We don't know what we'll feel like at 14K plus as the highest we've been is 11.5K. So is it better to camp at Outpost, and hopefully sleep better, or to to Trail, and risk a a headache? I think this thread has been really helpful. We'll go to Outpost and see how we feel. Try to shave as much weight of our packs as possible. We do have 20 degree bags, and also lighter 40 degree bags. I did get my husband a Western Mountaineering bag, but he didn't feel he could justify the expense for what may be a one time trip and returned it. He's just not into ultralight. I wanted a titanium kettle this weekend, and he wanted stainless. He won (but he'll be carrying it this weekend).

I haven't read the other replies yet, so at the risk of being redundant:

1. Thanks for the compliments! Always appreciated!

2. You do not need to carry 3L water until you leave Trail Camp. Until that point, it is extra weight you don't need. Instead, you can carry 1L of water, and purify on the trail at the water sources whenever you get low. A steripen is great for that, but a pump is a good choice too. I fought this advice myself at first, but really, there is a ton of water on the trail, so 1L before Trail Camp is fine.

3. If you weigh 110, then 22lbs is 20 percent of your bodyweight. You may be able to go to 25. I would not go above. Unless your husband hikes a lot with a backpack, 45 is probably to heavy for him, especially if you want to have a shot at Trail Camp. You should be able to keep him to under 35 lbs. Remember, the weight we carried on our Labor Day trip was for two nights, and you are only staying 1 night I think (gear is about the same, but food is less).

4. Take the warmer bags, at least for you. 40 is nowhere near enough for a woman at this time of year (we sleep colder). And if you want to leave the option of Trail Camp open, it is not warm enough for either of you.

5. Yes, see how you feel at Outpost Camp. I know others are going to give you different advice on this. This is my perspective. If you want to reduce risk of AMS on summit day, and you are feeling good at Outpost Camp, and you have energy for what is a pretty big climb, then consider going to Trail Camp. Night is very important for acclimatization. You will have had two nights at almost 10,000 feet already, before you hit the trail. So, in all likelihood, you'll be ready for a night at 12,000 feet, which will give you a big boost on the acclimatizing for a hike to 14,500. If you recall my trip report from last year, I don't believe Rabbit would have been able to summit had we stayed at Outpost Camp rather than Trail Camp (though she probably pushed it, even so, as things played out). Now, I am not a doctor. Consult your doctor and the real experts, and take opinions on the internet with a grain of salt. What works for me may not work for you.

6. Drink a lot and do not forget the electrolytes! Very very important! And if you find yourself having to pee a lot, it may not be the Diamox ... could just be an adaptation to altitude, so just grin and bear it!

Have fun! Have fun! Really, have fun!

Last edited by Akichow; 08/30/11 08:29 PM.