On to your second post.

1. You can definitely cook ramen in a freezer bag. Boil the water, add it to the ramen, let it sit a few minutes (you can use your hat as a "cozy"), then pour the water out. You can try this at home first (I often cook ramen at home now by just pouring boiling water in bowl that has raw ramen, letting it sit, and then draining the ramen in a seive). You can then throw whatever sauce, etc., you want into the ziploc bag and shake. Regular pasta will NOT work this way. However COUSCOUS does work with freezer bag cooking. Consider seasonining with olive oil, parmesan cheese, maybe a little canned or packged chicken... Oh yeah, some chopped nuts for salt, texture, protein and fat.

2. The link I gave you was for weather above 12,000 feet, so above Trail Camp. Therefore the temperatures you encounter at Trail Camp will be slightly warmer. A rough rule of thumb is you lose 3 degrees for every 1000 feet climbed. So, you can add 6-8 degrees from the forecast in the link I provided to approximate Outpost Camp.

3. I have to say that I agree with Ken that for a one night trip, you can get yourself to 20 lbs and Mr. Sherpa to 30 lbs or less. Sounds like you have good gear.

4. YES YOU MUST HAVE LONG UNDERWEAR, TOP AND BOTTOM, PLUS A WOOL OR FLEECE HAT, AND GLOVES. You will probably sleep in the long underwear, or you will be cold at night. You can probably take it off during the day. You need to have, at minimum, (1) long underwear bottoms; (2) synthetic pants, no cotton, zip off is great; (3) windproof/waterproof pants; (4) long underwear top; (5) down jacket; and (6) windproof/waterproof top. We had great weather last year, but the year before there was a snowstorm over Labor Day, I hear. So you have to be prepared for cold AND wet!

Last edited by Akichow; 08/30/11 09:02 PM.