Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Bob,

It was stated the ticket was issued by CHP. To me, CHP job is to patrol highways like 395 and our interstates. I do find it disgusting they would travel 26 miles off the beaten track to issue a parking ticket.

However, I would not feel the same way, if an Inyo Co. Sheriff issued the same ticket or if CHP chased someone up there on a violation from 395.

for over 12 years i have worked in a street level office, at a desk with a direct view of the street, in an unicorporated area of ventura county.

in this area the california highway patrol is responsible for street / traffic related issues.

and the ventura county sheriffs department is responsible for typical "police" type issues.

both agencies appear to be complaint-based when it comes to parking citations - blocked driveways, double-parking, etc. in my experience they do not go looking to give citations willy nilly. they don't have the manpower to do so.

i find extremely unlikely that a chp officer would drive 13 one way miles on the off chance someone might be parking illegally.

likely they received a complaint.

and they did their job.