Originally Posted By: John Sims
Hi All,
Steve, great web site. Lots of info. I appreciate you efforts.
I've hiked via the main trail five times (only made it to the top twice - Trail Crest all attempts, but weather forced retreat twice, and lack of desire once), but have never tried the Mountaineer route. My daughter (age 24) and I have permits to hike on June 20th. Right now our plan is to go with the main trail, but depending on weather we might try the mountaineer route. Do you have any advice as to increased difficulty/risk of mountaineer route vs. main trail?
Edit - Actually, I just found the "Reference" link in the forums, and found lots of info on Mountaineer route, and answered my own question. I think we will stick with the Main Trail for now.
Please add us to the calendar.
Thanks again,
John

10 yrs ago I did the main trail in a day with my brother, last fall in I did the loop and then back up to LBSL and down in three days. The MR is MUCH steeper, there is no maintained trail. Weight is a HUGE issue IMO. The biggest plus is you gain elevation VERY fast and the scenery changes every hour or two. I vow NEVER to do the main trail again due to its LOOONG drawn out descent that never ends and leaves me hating the MTN.

The one SERIOUS issue you need to look into is the last 400 ft. I would assume from the lack of snowfall this year that by June you will have a clearer path than we did, but it was by far the scariest thing I have done at high altitude so far. Its DOABLE without ropes going up, but coming down I would not recommend, especially if your daughter does not have much experience or either one of you has a strong will to live. wink

I am heading back up with some well trained buddies of mine on Monday to beat the Permit season. If you have any detailed questions about the route etc, I have benefited so much from guys like Steve on this Forum and I know what its like to be hungry for knowledge. Let me know how I can help. Cheers and happy climbing!