Originally Posted By: saltydog
...So yes, I use poles now. I just refuse to do it correctly.

For some of us - me included - the correct way is the way which works for us as individuals. Mostly I leave them the same length going up was well as down, unless it's very steep, and then I shorten them on the up's, and lengthen them on the down's. When it's mostly level and even, I hold them in my hand as I can hike slightly faster without them.

If there's any "correctness" in technique, I'd say it has more to do with how the strap is used. Like a ski pole, I put my hand UNDER the strap first, and then grip the pole - when the strap is the right length (longer if wearer mitts or gloves - it "locks" my wrist into the pole. A few long-time users I know won't use the straps at all, fearing they'll break/strain their wrist or arm if they do. For me, NOT using that technique increases the risk of not being able to plant them quickly to break a fall.

Sorta like should I use a leash on my ice axe or not. You can make a strong case either way. Fortunately, the Trail Police aren't checking compliance on either point.