Originally Posted By: CaT
For me, hiking pole straps are no different than a lanyard for a camera, the only purpose being to keep it in your personal possession in the event you accidentally lose your grip of the item (particularly helpful if you are near a drop-off). Unless I'm missing something, for me, there is no weight bearing mechanism involved in having the straps loosely hanging around your wrists, and thus, no weight bearing advantage to wearing them.

CaT, you ARE missing something! If you use the straps correctly, there is significant weight-bearing mechanism. Here's a video for skiers, but it applies to hiking poles, too. Note the strap extending under the hand between the wrist and little finger. That is where the weight is held.

When you use the straps correctly, there is no twist in them, either. They run smoothly from pole, around the hand and back to pole, without any twist. First time is confusing and complicated, but once you get used to putting on the straps, anything else will feel weird.

When I use my poles, I can relax my grip, and let the straps do most of the weight support. You have to adjust the tightness of the straps so they bear the weight while holding your hand at the right height position on the grips. And when I let go of the poles, the straps just move the poles away from the hands, so the hands are free for whatever is necessary.

Watch the video, (source) I think it will help:

How to Use Ski Poles -- powered by ExpertVillage.com