David, that's what I meant about using the wrist-straps properly. There are a number of situations where the wrist-straps just have to come off due to the increased probability of a fall (and that broken wrist), or being pulled off-balance by the straps: snow and ice, water crossings (even going over stepping stones or logs), and unstable terrain (the last 1000 feet of Mt. Dana comes to mind).

However, when you're chugging along on reasonably stable terrain, those straps can take a tremendous amount of strain away from your hands. I often see hikers using poles with what I think of as a "death grip" - a white-knuckled clinch that just cannot be comfortable - or stable. I also see hikers with two poles telescoped up to chest level (even shoulder-level) and, again, cannot imagine how they're comfortable or stable like that.

But it's personal preference. I like mine scoped to just above my waist when I'm climbing, and a little longer when descending. I keep a light 3-finger grip on the handle and allow the wrist-strap to do the lion's share of the work. That's what's worked for me for about 10 years, and they feel like a natural extension of my body.

Another take on the mental aspect of it: we bought trekking poles for our daughter Brianne when she was six, and she pretty much rebeled against them for years. She tended to face-plant from time to time (the typical looking-over-your-shoulder-to-talk-while-hiking syndrome), so I kept after her to use them. It was a running battle to get her to use the poles (especially properly in rhythm instead of windmilling them around). I had almost given up. Last July we went up Kearsarge Pass with Laura, and there was still a ton of snow. Footing was often sketchy and Laura kept encouraging Bri (11 at the time) to use her poles, and use them properly for the conditions (straps off on snow, back on for the trail). Several hours of Moose-coaching ensued. Bri, of course, idolizes Laura and actually paid attention that day. The light bulb went on for her during that hike, and she's used her poles ever since without having to be pestered. One more penny in the I-O-Moose piggybank.

Trekking pole usefulness and technique can be debated and analyzed from now till doomsday, but in the end it boils down to mental attitude and personal preference. People that want to use them will, in whatever way suits them best, and others will not - till they take a bad fall or their knees start getting creaky. I think most folks who hike long enough wind up with poles eventually - and think to themselves, "why didn't I go here a lot earlier?!"