Originally Posted By: Bee
while I stood there frozen, realizing that there was no time to mix up my salmon, relish, mayo, onion, pita delight (like I do on the leisurely backpacking trips,) other hikers were shovling down cookies, quick breads, and other things that I have never eaten before. The others were fed, watered, and ready to go before I even got past the "to filter, or not to filter -- how shall I squander my brief restbit".

Please suggest to me what it is that you survive on during those 10 minute, hourly breaks!

B

Bee, I carried the same thing for my high-protein snack on Whitney last year - tuna salad quickpacks. What a mistake! It's true that elevation changes your taste, but I couldn't stomach the thought of tuna once I got past Trail Camp. For me, any kind of eating seems a chore over 13K feet, so I have to force myself. Fortunately, I carried easy-to-scarf, high-carb items as well - stuff I liked. These included jerkey, peanut M&Ms, Snickers (you can never go wrong with Snickers unless it's hot enough to turn them to goo), trail mix and granola bars. These went down pretty well and were easy to nibble on as I hiked. This year I plan to carry a lot of cookies as well - that was an item I recall thinking I could eat at elevation and wishing I had at the time.

I think eating is different for the weekend warriors, who are regularly at elevation, versus those of us who get above the 10-12K level just a few times a year. The Lauras, Richards, Kevins, Bobs, etc have extremely disciplined constitutions and experience at eating up high for extended periods They know what works for them through many, many trips above 10K. The rest of us just have to figure it out the hard way with our own bodies.

One thing I tried last year that I won't repeat is having all my Camelbak water laced with a supplement (Vitalyte, Cytomax). Too sweet and just not refreshing. I've since moved to having a 16 oz bottle available with the stuff for occassional swigs, but pure, clear water in my Camelbak. Makes those dry carbs (cookies, candy, bars) go down better, and doesn't gunk up the bladder and tube.