Originally Posted By: BackGuy
booger, you're the guy from the first tent right?

Booger: Everyone comes to Mt Whitney with a different background, experience and perspective. I do think BackGuy is a legend. He was called that by others, and 44 hours is legendary. He certainly could and should have done things differently, but I am just glad he made it out ok, and that others can learn from his experience. (Now I want to learn about that 50-hour record. I am sure there can be lessons learned from it, as well.)

BackGuy, I am sorry I didn't tell your daughter, Laura, your story. I have a tough time with "stories", I don't make speeches and don't practice them when I am walking; I did the best I could. I am glad I could help you out.

I am really glad you posted your long story. Many can marvel at your experience, and at the same time, learn some lessons. It is bizarre reading about your experience, and then comparing that to the ranger taking a pair of socks to a hiker with sore feet.

The several I have (and these are for others reading, not you, since you don't plan any more "epics". wink   )
1. Set a turnaround time, and stick to it.
2. Drink water, LOTS of water. It helps with the altitude issues. (and you don't need to filter or treat it.)
3. Acclimate before a hike. Driving to the Portal for a wink, and then hiking is a recipe for AMS trouble for at least 50% of all Mt Whitney hikers.

Bob R added these "lessons" when he posted his write-up on wpsmb:
Originally Posted By: Bob R
The lessons:
  • Summit fever can kill you. As you ascend, always be thinking of how the descent will go, and be ready to turn around. The mountain will always be there.
  • Take some emergency bivy gear. A few ounces could save your life.
  • Don't depend on your fellow hikers to be good samaritans.
  • Guardian angels may be real.
  • Always, always, try to get out of your predicament yourself. You may be all there is.
  • Stephan did. He did not sit down and tell people to go get him a helicopter. Had we not come along, he probably would have survived another night on the trail, and got down late afternoon the next day for a burger and fries.
  • Mt. Whitney has stories to tell.