First of all, BackGuy - Congratulations on the summit. Even though the circumstances were certainly not preferable, you made the summit and returned safely.

To Booger: I live well into the Sierra foothills and two of my neighbors are Placer County SAR. As such, I am well aware of the common stupidity and shortsightedness of many in the wilderness, and have very little patience for those who refuse to care. That said, I think you're reaction is wholly inappropriate, based on the information I read above and elsewhere of the incident.

Someone I know well visited Yosemite this weekend. His car slid when it snowed and he totaled it, his life saved by a two inch tree several feet down the slope. The response to the incident? It was the ranger's fault, for not properly warning him of impending snow. Did this guy learn anything from the situation, in regards to safer driving, more thorough research into possible conditions or respect of the change-in-a-moment mountain weather? No. Did BackGuy learn from this situation and grow as a result of it? I believe so, based on what I read above.

I think the most important thing BG can do is spread the word to all who will hear about his experience and what could have been done to prevent. Those who survive situations like his are saddled with the responsibility to warn others. If BG moves on from this event and has learned nothing, and does not pass along new-found words of wisdom, I think a harsher response is acceptable.