After reading posts of "hits" and news, it is time to start the second phase of the Mt. Whitney Permit process...

Training.

Hopefully by now you have saved up enough money to purchase THE most important gear for your adventure...footwear.

Get out there to the stores like REI, Cabelas, or Adventure 16 and start getting fitted if you haven't already done so.

There are a lot of great boots out there and I know many of you have your preferences. I have mine and I will leave it at that. You can order online like Zappos, but that just ups the frustration level in case you don't like the boots due to size and fit and have to return them for another pair.

Here is some expert advice from REI. Remember, this is advice. We learn from our experiences.

Then read Versatile Fred's thread Orientation Notes for Whitney First Timers. VF put a lot of work into this for everyone. His thread was the number one reason for my first summit on my first try. Even I resort to it just to refreshen my memory. If you ever needed a reference guide, VF's thread is your "first step."

Congratulations on obtaining your permit. I bet many of you are stoked! Nothing like "Christmas" in March and April. It is probably the one charge on your debit/charge card you didn't mind seeing!

May your journey of 22 miles and 6,300 feet of elevation gain begin NOW!

Get up, gear up, get out, get going, and git'r done!

Have fun!

Journey well...