There are two major issues that have gotten quite convoluted on this thread.

One is Akin's view that women can't get pregnant from being forcibly raped. Which is just downright stupid.

The other issue is abortion. And both sides have merit. And it is a legitimate legal and constitutional issue. If a fetus is an individual human life, then it is morally wrong to kill it and it is entitled to constitutional protection.

If it is not an individual human life, then there really isn't any moral issue and clearly women have the right to do whatever they want with whatever parasitic amorphous mass of cells happens to be in their body.

There are some people who believe that the individual human life begins at conception. There are some people who believe that it isn't an individual human life until it has breached the womb. I personally think that both ends of the spectrum are wrong. But I can't prove my point of view any more than anybody else can prove theirs.

But if somebody believes that individual human life begins at conception, that an embryo is a person, can they really be blamed for wanting to protect that life in the same way anybody would want to protect a baby, child or whatever living human.

And if someone doesn't believe that the embryo or fetus is an individual human life, can they be blamed for wanting to fight for the rights of the woman who we know is a "person"?

Both sides have merit.

Oh, and I registered as a Libertarian in 1983. I registered as a Republican in April 2012.