Planning a trip: October 10th overnighter via the main trail.

The trip is coming together, but it is certainly going to be a last minute excursion as we just stumbled upon a work trip to Utah - with a few vacation days to Whitney on the side. We cruised the recreation.gov site for a few days before two overnight passes became available on the 10th. Thanks to whoever cancelled the permits!

Should be the most challenging hike of my life, considering the altitude and weather possibilities. I've done lots of hiking in Zion and I imagine the extreme dropoffs of Whitney being similar to Angels Landing or Observation Point. So fear of heights/bears is taking a backseat to fear of AMS/pure physical exhaustion.

Due to travel requirements, I have to fly into Vegas and drive to Lone Pine. Assuming the flight and luggage goes smoothly, I plan on getting the permits at the visitor center by 2:00pm. Hope to be on the trail by 2:30pm and hit Trail Camp right at dusk @ 6:30pm. The trip has to go perfectly for us to hike by daylight, but as I am learning, headlamps and flashlights are par for the course at Whitney. So we'll pace ourselves and prepare for cold temps and dark campsite preparation.

Lots of questions are swirling as the date gets closer:

1. Hoping for no snow but if it is icy or snowy, can I rent crampons and ice axes in Lone Pine? Am I in over my head if I've never used these before?
2. Best map to purchase in preparation for the ascent?
3. I am guessing I need to prep for straight up winter temps at Trail Camp, is that right? Highs in the 30s and lows in the teens? To me this means hat, gloves, lighter winter jacket, poly long-sleeve layer, poly thermals, woolen socks?
4. How many people do you think will be up on the mountain? It would be cool to see a constant stream of headlamps milling about at all hours of the night.

Anyway, just pouring over the intel and trying to prepare as best we can.

Thanks for any input,
Bob