As the OP I'm glad to see folks chime in with all kinds of info/questions.

Steve C, thanks for the tips about Trail Camp vs Outpost Camp. Well shoot, if I'm not truly acclimating during this trip then I guess I am just going to head for Trail Camp. I am interested in knocking out some miles during the first day so that our second day is a little shorter for the drive back to Vegas (yes, I am sure we'll be sleeping on and off during the drive back through the desert).

Also, my buddy is looking into Diamox so we'll see what he comes up with. If we get some I will definitely do a trial run before the trip.

I also enjoyed reading John D's list of items. I too tend to overpack. However, for this trip I am going with the minimalist approach. Synthetic longjohns top and bottom, REI Endeavor hiking pants (supposedly windproof, rainproof, breathable, etc.), Northface fleece over the base layer, Columbia rainproof winter coat on top. Might bring a vest to put over the base layer to start but I hope that is enough. Also got the Wigwam socks, still need synthetic winter hat and also looking at tactical weather proof shooting gloves.

My tent is a REI Half Dome 2 Plus. 0 degree Northface down bag, thermarest, MSR pocketrocket stove, and of course the bear canister, knife, lighter, medicine, batteries, headlamp, first aid, camera, and the other essentials. The rest will be food and water. I really want a 30 lb pack or less.

The tent reminds me... I am not going to be able to put a stake in the ground to secure it, am I?