OK. It's taken me awhile, but here's my Summary comments on the Sequoia Kings Wilderness Stewardship Plan Draft Alternatives. Note that the documents released are only to comment on whether these Alternatives are the ones that should be adopted. The next phase is to write the Alternatives in final form, then release those for comment.

Alas, the Draft is kind of a mess. I had trouble understanding the tables as presented, though think I got the general idea. It's important, though, for wilderness users to read and comment on this. The last plan was written in 1986 (!!!) and not revised until now. So, it's quite likely that this Plan will be the guiding document for the next 30 years. It will affect how you can visit the backcountry for all of that time. It's a pain, but please read it and comment on what you think is important. Comments have to be in by November 19th, so take a little time to read it and send in your thoughts.

I'll copy my longer comments in the next post but, briefly, I'm bothered by three things:

1) The zone system proposed.
2) No specific protection plan for iconic Sierran meadows (e.g. McClure, Colby, Grouse, Upper Basin, Castle Dome etc).
3) Grazing regulated, partially, by zones rather than the ecological and aesthetic limits and needs of canyon ecosystems.

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.