I attended the Visalia "workshop" with wagga this evening. It was primarily a presentation by several Park Service staff members describing the process, with a question/discussion period afterwards.

They have had several earlier workshops and thankfully, the presenter indicated that Alternative 6 got some pretty harsh reviews. Alternative 6 is titled:
Quote:
Alternative 6 –
Provide for the most unconstrained wilderness experience and protect wilderness character by significantly reducing visitor access.

I was able to point out that the title is pretty much an oxymoron: "unconstrained ...experience" while significantly restricting access. I asked, "Does it make sense to give some sort of ideal experience for a few while completely blocking access to so many others?"

They asked me to be sure and submit my comments on that topic. I sure hope many people will!

The signage at the junction of the JMT and the Mt Whitney Trail was mentioned, and we were assured that it was already being addressed.

The topic of usage of hi-tech devices in the wilderness was addressed, and the presenter had a surprisingly negative view of cell phones and Spot units. He seemed offended that people might use cell phones in the backcountry, but more was said about hikers carrying ipods with small speakers mounted so everyone around them could hear what they were playing. Thankfully it was pointed out that that sort of thing is a citable violation.

After the meeting, I asked the presenter privately more about his disdain for Spot and phones. It was curious that he thought a hand held gps/map device was ok, but any sort of communications or music device was not. His opinion was that people couldn't get the full wilderness experience if they were "connected" to civilization. I am sure all (or even most of) the staff don't share his feelings, but I still found it interesting, especially in light of the current SAR operations.