> 1. I am assuming this can include alternate group sizes as well as alternate dates - is that correct?

Correct

> 2. if I enter my preferred date and group size (say, 7) as my first choice, can I then enter the same date with 6 as my group size as my 1st alternative, and same date with 5 as my group size for the 2nd alternative, to increase my chance of getting my preferred date, at the expense of not getting my preferred group size?

Just tried setting up an entry like that, and yes, it works fine. That is a good way to try to get a permit for a specific date.

> 3. If my entry gets pulled, would the computer work through my alternatives and award me a permit for the highest-ranked alternative for which both date and # of spaces are available at that point?

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work.

> 4. I am assuming that whatever I put as the exit date does not affect whether or not I win the permit, and only entry date and # in party matters in that regard?

Exactly. The exit date AND exit trail, for overnight permits, is strictly informational. Those can be changed at the Visitor Center in Lone Pine on the day you pick up your permit. (In my opinion, those items should not even be included on the lottery application, but rather on the acceptance or confirmation web page.)

> 5. I am also assuming that I can make multiple entries that are identical in absolutely every respect, to increase my odds?

Yes. Many if not most people will make multiple entries. The entries can be 100% identical.

> 6. So the main advantage of having a different person in my group making separate entries (instead of me filing them all) would be to have a possibility that each of us would win, and then we might have two different entry dates and/or group sizes to consider, accepting one and declining the other?

Yes. Another advantage is that the other person gets to spend time entering an application -- it is time consuming.

And beware, the entry page has bugs -- often blanking out fields you have already entered. Within each alternate choice, as you enter the fields, I'd advise making sure the (unnecessary) Trail/Zone field is set correctly before you click in the Entry Date or Group Size fields. And sometimes you have to set the Entry Date twice.

> Thanks for any insight on this, or any advice on what one can do to make it more likely to win a permit (other than applying for week days rather than weekend dates).

You're quite welcome. If you apply for any date in May or October (except Memorial Day weekend), you are sure to win. In fact it is not even worth applying for those dates, since there are always free walk-in permits available on those dates.