Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
...so I really don't know if Whitney is over her head...

It is over her head. At 14,497 or 14,505 feet minus height of your daughter. I just had to say that... whistle

Anyhoo...back to the thread...

Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
For several years she's watched Dad take off to places out west to hike and backpack the bigger stuff that was far beyond her, and now she feels like she's ready to do a "really big one" with me. I certainly don't want to discourage her, but I damn sure don't want to endanger her by putting her in a situation that's over her head...Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but the "death march" of the MMWT kicked my butt last year. We're looking at a one or two-nighter this time around.

Being the person you are, being the dad you are, you are the "key" that opens a new door to her world. You are the naturalist, the botanist, the park ranger, the geologist all rolled into one. You are a real live John Muir.

She has seen you leave, now it is time for her to leave with you (mom, it is your time to go too!) and behold the beauty of the Sierra Nevada. You've "been there, done that" so you know what is to be expected on the trail. We all learn from our first lesson.

Do a two-dayer (maybe a 3-dayer). Take your time. Answer all of her questions. Give her positive reinforcement (all dads are good at this mind you). Should you happen to "cuss" say "cheeze-its crackers." Take pictures (a must do YES!). If you got time in your schedule, a drive up to Horseshoe Meadows (quick acclimatatization).

Oh, most importantly, the family has to have the Burger and Fries. Oops, and the pancakes, too!

Have fun up there, Bulldog34 Family, we wanna see pictures!

BTW, my wife and I will be at Lone Pine Campground #17 July 16-18. We will arrive late July 16. Will be doing the "touron" thing so maybe our trails will cross.

P.S. Thank you for the personal message. You are a family with big hearts.

Journey well...