Bob Rockwell sent me his latest, revised version of "The Ultralight Pack". This one is a bit heavier than the first. Base weight is just under 7 lbs.

The earlier one, can be seen on Page 1 of this thread. This one includes a heavier backpack, down sweater with hood, rain parka, and other differences. Bob notes that the new down sweater can be worn while sleeping, and get another 15 degrees of comfort from his sleeping bag.

Here's the text from the new document.

The Ultralight Pack
Updated October 4, 2013
By Bob Rockwell

Here is the list that guides me on Sierra Nevada climbing trips in the summer, and I have it handy every time I pack. I know that there are people who trim the edges off their map, drill holes in their spoon, and take the string off their tea bag; I applaud their philosophy but don't do such things myself.

Carry: lb oz
-------------------------------------------------- -- ----
Pack, Six Moon Designs Essence. 0 14.5

Sleeping bag, Marmot Atom 40°, with stuffsack 1 3.4
and pee bottle
Pad, Cascade Designs ProLite, small 0 11.7
Emergency bivy bag, Heat Sheets 0 3.6
Ground cloth: black garbage sack with sides split 0 1.9

Down sweater with hood, M. H. Ghost Whisperer 0 8.5
Light polypro long underwear, top & bottom 1 0.0
Waterproof-breathable parka, Lowe Adrenaline 0 14.5
Light polypro balaclava 0 2.0
Light fleece gloves 0 2.2

Headlamp (Petzl Tikka Plus), with extra batteries 0 3.9
First aid kit, Adventure Ultralite 0 .5
with toothbrush & paste 0 6.8
Toilet paper, 8 sheets per day; Wet Ones, one per day 0 0.9
Quart Gatorade canteen, carried empty 0 1.8
Topo map, whistle, signal mirror, compass, 0 3.6
in Ziplock sack
Base weight: 6 15.3

Food (1 lb 8 oz per day) including 4 0
moisture & packaging:
Total for a two-day weekend trip: 10 15.3

Wear:
T-shirt
Fleece shirt
Hiking shorts
Briefs
Tilley hat
Bandanna
Sunglasses
Socks, and VBL
Lightweight Boots
Scree gaiters

Consider also:
Hiking poles
Sunscreen
Mosquito repellent
Ice ax, light
Crampons, aluminum

These weights are as measured on a regulation US Postal Service scale and differ a little from advertised. The things to wear in the right-hand column add another few pounds that your feet feel. Below them are other items that are sometimes needed.

There is no tent. And there is no provision for treating water, because virtually all High Sierra water is perfectly clean.

And no stove and cookset. If you absolutely have to have hot meals, there are plenty of lightweight options out there. For example, the Firelight Esbit Wing Stove weighs only 0.4 oz, and two 0.5 oz fuel tabs will boil a quart of water. Add an MSR titanium pot, some aluminum foil for windscreen, and your total system weighs in around 7 ounces.

If rain is likely, I take my Titanium Goat bivy (7.3 oz) instead of the Heat Sheets; base weight increases by 3.7 oz.

If I have to depend on snow for topping off my canteen now and then, I take a wide-mouth polyethylene canteen instead of the Gatorade jug. It adds 2.0 oz.

Unfortunately, I have my indulgences. Add an ounce or two of single malt per evening out.

Taking all of the above-cooking system, better bivy, canteen, scotch-and total weight is just over 11 pounds for a two-day trip.

Other substitutions are obviously possible, and I do it often. However, I always have the scale handy. I didn't invent the saying, but I do abide by it: Watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves.

Finally, I'm not at all fanatical about this. But operating from a list like the above is useful for identifying what's truly essential for the trip, and realizing what's just "nice to have along."