Originally Posted By: Steve C
Bob Rockwell sent me his latest, revised version of "The Ultralight Pack". This one is a bit heavier than the first. Base weight is just under 7 lbs.

The reason it's a little heavier is that I decided to make it more reasonable--a list others might emulate with little change. (A lot of the lightweight ideas out there seem to be driven to an extreme that holds little practical meaning for the average hiker.)

It's indeed pretty much what I take from about May through October. Solo, I use the Esbit stove, but usually I'm with friends who like hot meals; then it's sharing either a Simmerlite or Pocket Rocket. Oh, and I did forget to include light waterproof-breathable shell pants to be taken if a storm is likely. Mine are Mountain Hardwear, 11.7 oz.

Some might scoff at a 40 deg bag in the season's shoulders, but it's just fine on chillier nights if I wear some of my clothing. The Ghost Whisperer, worn to bed, adds at least 15 degrees warmth if I am in my bivy sack as well. I used it a couple of weeks ago when the temperature at camp was predicted to be about 20 deg. I was quite comfortable, and didn't have to get the bivy sack out.

With the current changes, it closely approaches my "Not-So-Ultralike-Pack," so I've removed that one.