Originally Posted By: Ken
I can't fathom his being in the 2.5 mile discussed, with so many experts searching the area.

Agreed, Ken. I would expect the entire trail is in play by now, which would expand the possibilities considerably, especially along the crest. Glassing the switchbacks from TC and positively identifying a lone hiker seems optimistic unless you're using a set of very high-quality binocs, which are typically pretty heavy and not often a candidate for a summit pack. You would almost have to assume a lightweight pair of lower magnification glasses. If that was how he was ostensibly last spotted near the cables, I wouldn't put much faith in it. That section of the switchbacks is not easily seen from Trail Camp.

I once spent an hour kicked back by the pond at TC doing exactly this with a set of 7X35 binocs, watching for the rest of my party to descend the switchbacks. I never was able to positively pick them out till they were in the vicinity of the spring, and that was with the benefit of two-way radios.