Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Originally Posted By: tollermom
I am curious as well..if only to make sure I take extra precautions. Already I am telling myself GO LEFT, GO LEFT at the granite slabs when Mirror Lake comes into view!!! People keep telling me the trail is like a freeway, just follow the trail. You can't go wrong. Well, that is evidently not completely correct.

tollermom, it sounds like you're prepping for your first attempt of Whitney? Don't be overly concerned for your own hike due to this tragedy.
Study a Whitney trail map before your trip, carry the appropriate gear, pay attention to the trail, exercise due caution, and enjoy the experience.

Yes, I am prepping for a July 18 day hike. Some friends scoff at my preparations but I have read books, read forums, taken notes, talked to past hikers, make a day trip to the portal a couple weeks ago to hike up to Lone Pine lake during daylight hours, even used google earth to 'fly over' the Halfmile maps of the trail. I know this is one mountain to give much respect. The tragedy of Mr Likely punctuated that.