Originally Posted By: 2Old4This
While riding a bike can't duplicate the potential physiological response to elevation, it does a good job of preparing your cardio system for the hike.

I agree. Most of the people in the group that I'm hiking Whitney with in September have very busy schedules and we won't be able to hike as much as we have in years past. A few had asked about training suggestions and I sent the following:
Quote:

Hiking v. Running/Biking/Etc
I plan to change my approach to training this year - I can't hike as much as I have in years past. I also want to add some diversity to where I have hiked (no San G hikes this summer!). People usually say that the best way to prepare for a big hike is to hike. Over the last three years, I've come to the conclusion that this is not necessarily the truth. I've found that most people that use hiking as their primary form of cardio aren't necessarily in great shape, but those that run or bike regularly are in great shape and are strong hikers. I think it's because they are used to working at a much higher intensity than those that just hike.

If you run or bike regularly, you're probably in good enough shape to hike Mt. Whitney, but you need to supplement your normal training with some hiking and time at altitude. You need to prep your feet for the long day and get accustomed to carrying and using the gear you'll take on the hike. Prior exposure to altitude will help your body adapt on our trip and will decrease the likelihood AMS.

For those that hike as their primary form of cardio, I highly recommend supplementing your hiking with High Intensity Interval Training (HITT). If you are joining me on the training hikes this summer, two or three 15 minute sessions per week should be sufficient. Here is a link to the HITT program I am using this summer: 8 Week HIIT Program. I recommend using IntervalTimer or a similar app. I've found it to be very useful for timing the intervals while doing HIIT.

YMMV