Okey dokey...

Goals...Having defined goals are helpful. They get you to focus. I would suggest intermediate goals...backpack to San Jacinto, San G and then an easy Sierra trip...Cottonwood Lakes, with Cirque Peak as a high point goal

Training...Anything that gets you to your goals. Working during the week is the key to upward progress. I run and exercise bike during the week and do progressively harder things on the weekend.

Questions...

1. Training...Since backpacking is your thingy...train to go 6-miles, +3,600'. The trip to the summit with a 15 pounds on your back the following morning is a piece of cake. The trip that most like the first day at Mt. Whitney is Angelus Oaks to Limber Bench in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. 6-miles, +3,600'. Day trip up to San Bernardino Peak, San Bernardino East and Anderson Peak, if you want something approximating your second day.

2. Gear...the new 2 person tents are good for one person...unless you are sharing it with your wife or girl friend. Bags I have a 15 and -20...the Sierra in the summer can be 50 over night or 10...depending on the weather. I don't go to the Sierra enough to warrant 2 or 3 summer bags.

3. Cooking...many now use a Jet Boil system. Me, it's a couple of ti pots and a MSR Pocket Rocket stove. Each are simple, easy and semi-light.

4. Clothing...Rome wasn't built in a day figure out what you need and hit all the usual suspects for their best prices. Figure on buying stuff a few times until you get it right for you. Most of my clothing is now approaching ten years old. When I buy it is from a position of strength...I pay what I want for the things I want or I don't buy'em.

Winter clothing...Soft-shell hoody, soft-shell pants, vest and a couple of thickness of tops. This all you need to have the start of a good cold weather clothing system...been using it for years.

With all this said, get out a lot and observe, then ask questions to people whose gear and methods you admire.