I think we're saying the same thing, just interpreting differently. I'm allowing a little more leeway for variables that might affect your decision - not the least of which is your/my/others ability to adequately assess the medical situation. smithb left it pretty vague in that area - deliberately, I'm sure. When I say stay and assist to the best of your ability, that's the assessment in my mind. Assuming you cannot rouse the victim after a reasonable period of time, then you have to make the effort to get help. This falls under the "serious jeopardy" category, to me.

So many other variables can come into play, though, in deciding to leave a partner alone and unconscious in the wild. How long has he/she been unconscious? Pupils reactive? Pulse rate? Breathing shallow or strong/steady? Is this in an area with large predators about? Is your partner your young child? Weather, impending darkness, exposure (the vertical kind) are all factors that could play in either your decision or timing to "abandon" the unconscious partner for his/her greater good.

Broad question, broad answer. The more specific the scenario, the better I can gauge my response.