Bulldog, I like agreeing with you. I agree with you!

Except, I think broad question, narrow answer. And my proposed answer is: "it is a wilderness medical question, and if you want to be best positioned to answer this question, take a wilderness first aid class."

Yes, there are a ton of variables. That is addressed in a WFA class, along with a framework for how to gather and process all the relevant information. I don't think the OP can get the answer he/she seeks from a bulletin board post. The question implicates a lot of other questions, and knowing what questions to ask and how in an emergency is part of the challenge.

Okay, off my soapbox. This is NOT a paid message from NOLS or REI. No, it is the musings of a captive of a very long transcontinental flight (Freudian, first I typed "hike") who has too much time on her hands. And who has been through WFA twice (you have to re-up every 2 yrs to keep your certification).

Oh yeah, Salty makes a good point. Whitney Trail options for getting help are much broader which would probably affect the analysis.