Originally Posted By: Kllrsqrls
Thanks Steve, I'm sure you're right about the altitude issue - I guess I just want the climb to be as unpainful as possible too, since these would potentially be our wedding memories forever smile

I think we will be discussing all the options and maybe seeing what passes are left after the Whitney lottery, if any, and then going from there. This site has really been invaluable to me in figuring out what options there are - thanks to all again.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Of course it depends on how much time you have, but if you have a couple of extra days you can do what I do: spend two or three nights at Mammoth Lakes, doing day hikes, for acclimation. Works great, and will either expose you to different parts of the Sierra, or perhaps a brief preview of the JMT. Mammoth Lakes is ~8k' and lots of hikes up to 11.5 K that can easily be done in 6 to 8 hours (or longer if you like, or less if you just want elevation gain). Mammoth Mtn. is 11.2 (I think), and can easily be hikes in a few hours.
There are plenty of camping sites around Mammoth Lakes, or there are also many condos for rent at fairly reasonable prices in Aug.

This would allow you to acclimate, and then drive down (or use public transportation) to Lone Pine to start your hike. As you know, the entry permit at Whitney Portal can be difficult, but if you have the flexibility to start your hike on a week day there are normally Day use permits available for the asking. Not sure about how that hooks up with whatever permit is required for the JMT. Steve or Salty can likely address this issue or your research may have already given you the answer.

This would put you back on plan to hike the entire JMT (with full pack to start with mad)

Something to consider.

John