The May 3-5 (Tue-Thurs) weather window is looking pretty good right now, so I'm shooting for that slot. I don't have a permit, so I'll have to try for a cancellation.

I think the OP might be referring to my recommendation about getting back to the Trail crest and beginning the descent of the Chute by 1-2pm.

My calcs are based on the following schedule (assuming camping overnight @ Trail camp):

6-7am begin the Chute
8-9am reach Trail crest
10-11am reach the summit
noon-1pm get back to Trail crest

If you spent 1/2 hour at the summit, then you'd be looking at 12:30-1:30 or so @ TC. Easy for me to say after being up 5 times before, but first timers might want to hang out a bit more.

Anyway, the idea is to be up and at it early - both up & down. An early start - after all, that's why it's called an "alpine start" ie pre-dawn, is that it gives you plenty of daylight to allow for unplanned events. Presumably, you've still got a lot of energy, the temperatures aren't yet falling, people can find you, and the snow/ice is softer.

Compare that to later: there's only a few hours of daylight left, the temps are rapidly falling, any search would be with torch/flashlight, and the snow/ice on the Chute firms up like a high-speed ramp.

Assuming you get back to Trail camp by 3pm, then it's a pretty straightforward march down to your car, hot food & a beer (or two). Push the schedule back just a few hours, and all these variables begin to change.

Last edited by Hobbes; 04/27/16 11:53 AM.