The general concept is earlier/longer is better. Earlier, as in arrivals & starts, longer as in acclimatization period.

I've only summitted a 14er once with just one night @ 10-11k. (I live @ sea level, so I'm talking about driving up, hiking to 10-11k, then summitting the next day.) The result was stopping every 50 yards to catch my breath - and I'm in pretty good condition:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12632

That's (sort of) ok in the middle of summer with perfect weather, but not so good when you're trying to make time, and especially not ok in spring snow conditions.

In the situation I'm considering about just driving up & shooting for a cancellation, I won't be able to get one until 11am. Add in the traffic construction, etc, and I'd be lucky to be on the trail by 1pm.

So my options are:

(a) Hike to Trail camp, arriving by 6pm, then get up @ 5am the next morning on just one nights sleep; or

(b) Go up a day early, day hike up to Kearsarge, spend the night @ Onion valley, then cruise down and grab a permit. The problem is it still puts me at a late start and arrival to TC; or

(c) Go up a day early, get my 11am permit & get up to Portal by 1pm per (a), only in this case just hike to Lone Pine lake. Set up camp, do a little fishing, maybe day hike up to TC (higher than Kearsarge pass), then come back.

The next day, my "true" hiking day would then afford a leisurely noon start from LP lake, getting to TC by 4pm, and doing all the normal camp stuff. This way, I'd have two nights at elevation and be ready for a 5am wake-up alarm.

Side note: I'm also planning on carrying 6 liters of water from Outpost. 3 liters for the summit (1 pint per hour ie 6-8 hours travel), 2 left at camp, and 1 for drinking*/cooking the first night.

* Don't underestimate how much water you will want/need to drink during the night. And take aspirin: headache + thirst will keep you up and prevent a good nights sleep.

Last edited by Hobbes; 04/28/16 07:24 AM.