My first wheels were a '68 Roadrunner with a 426 Hemi (at age 16 - talk about too much car for a driver's experience level). It was used, of course, and pretty much run ragged when I got it in 1973, but I thought I was cool. Between the nearly-blown valves, the thirsty carb, and a teenager's driving habits, I was lucky to get 6-8 mpg. Sucked down a quart of oil a week as well. And this was during the Arab Oil Embargo when gas prices had doubled overnight. I couldn't afford to drive it much more than to school and back. But I had to drive it to school - and rev up those Cherry Bombs!

Wish I still had that car. Or even just the engine block. The photo below scrolls across my monitor several times daily to remind me of what an idiot I was for letting it go:

And 'Tude, you really rocked it with this thread you started! I went back and leisurely reviewed the entire thing with my coffee this morning - your initial post is just about the funniest thing I've ever read! Steve, the Chat Room was a great idea. I suspect this thread will go on for a long, long time.