Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085
Glad you and your team made it back down safely!

Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas?

Climbed last year via Chute around July last year but the top from Trail Crest to Summit was clear of snow. Just curious what it is right now.

Thank you! There was still quite a bit of (well-trafficked) snow from Trail Crest to the summit. Right at Trail Crest, I took my crampons off, but I put them back on not too long afterwards b/c of the snow. There were a few areas where the trail was narrow-ish with a steep drop off to one side. I just dug my ice axe into the mountain before each step and walked slowly (and didn't look down). That said, my hiking partner didn't use his microspikes, but he did use his ice axe. From the footprints, there seemed to be a mix of folks who did and did not wear crampons or microspikes. I think it comes down to what you're comfortable with. I personally felt better having that extra traction. On the way back down from the summit to Trail Crest, I kept my crampons on the whole time and took them off before glissading down the chute. I was able to keep them off the rest of the way down to the Portal.

Last edited by Rayna; 05/21/18 02:45 PM.