This picture posted on FB by Jack T

His report:
Quote:
As requested, the trail conditions on Mount Whitney Trail on Oct 4th after the first storm of the 2018-19 wet season.

First snow and thin ice encountered on the trail at 11000ft. The ice dissipated by trail camp and snow accumulation increased to about 3-4 inches by the cables on 97 switchbacks. Snow depth remained consistent until Trail Crest where the depth increased to 5-6 inches in some spots where it was not packed down. Snow depth at the summit was 6-7 inches with small drifts of about 10-12 inches.

During my descent I noted as large difference in the snow as the sun had worked its way around the ridge. Snow was melting and packing fast and there was quite a bit of slush on the ridge line. The snow on the switchbacks became very "grippy" and I was able to move at full speed with microspikes and poles. The trail was free of snow from Trail Camp back to the Portal except a few tiny patches here and there above 11000ft

That's all fine a dandy but just remember one thing. All the snow melt and slush will freeze tonight and on the 5th there will be a lot more ice from the cables on up to the summit.

Hope this helps. 😉