My wife got called in to do overtime Saturday so the boy and I packed our Camelbaks and headed to Idyllwild. Plan was simple - a quick trip to the summit via the Marion Mountain Trail. Last year it was our first hike of the season and it almost made me want to quit hiking forever. It's fairly steep, gaining 4500 feet in just under 6 miles.

Woke up at 0330 and was rolling before 0400. Grabbed a permit and parked at the trailhead. A few weeks ago we turned back at 9000 feet due to snow on the PCT coming up via Devil's Slide. This time there was no snow until Little Round Valley and it was easy to stay on trail.

There was some snow during the last 100 feet but it was soft and easy to scamble up. I read later that if you swing around the other side it isn't a problem. Wasn't really a problem plowing through it either.

Lots of water on the trail so no need to carry much if you don't want to.

When we arrived there were four others on top. Two of them left after they took our photo. After about a half hour the crowds started coming up. There was a line to get on to the summit block.

We headed down and thought we had seen the last of our fellow hikers as we turned away from the Tram route. WRONG. There were at least 40 people coming up our way including a group of 20 single file hiking through Little Round Valley. Crazy. Everyone we talked to said they were coming up Marion Mountain, but the Deer Springs trailhead parking was completely full when we passed.

The key to enjoying San J's peak is be the early bird. 1st tram leaves at 0800 - get a jump on them and you'll have peace at the top.

Team Snail is going up San J on the 27th via South Ridge/Tahquitz.

I'm supposed to lead a 20 mile merit badge hike up there this summer - up the tram, to the peak and downhill to Idyllwild.

Looks like I'll be a frequent visitor this year.............DUG