Paul's Center Basin/Junction Pass info.

Anton, I saw where you are planning to start at Horseshoe Meadows. Old Army works if you go later in the summer. Earlier, there can be a snow bank near the top that is tough to get up. I saw the suggestion to climb west(east??) from Lake 5. Several years ago, I climbed west from the northern-most smaller lake, and it was just a slog up some talus. Wasn't too bad.

I summited Langley, and then wanted to descend into Rock Creek on the slope north of the Major General. Unfortunately, I didn't read the contours quite well enough, and didn't realize how high I needed to haul my backpacking gear. Secor reports it's an easy Class 2 climb of Langley from Rock Creek (Miter Basin area), so descending should be ok, if you can haul your backpack that high.

So I descended, all the way to Lower Soldier. Again, I missed reading before the trip, that there is an easily accessible route around the nose of Major General. You should at least take this route -- you don't need to drop to the second lake. First lake is only necessary if you need water.

Also: If you're taking Crabtree (Grabtree? ;-) pass, people have actually traversed up to Discovery Pinnacle without dropping to the upper Crabtree Lake. Link is here, just pretty old:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/10812