Originally Posted By: Hobbes
JMT/PCT/WZ Steve, are you saying that THs now have exit limitations? Example: I enter Kearsarge, but cannot exit Lyle canyon? Or, I enter Shepherd, but cannot exit Whitney? What about the S to N lake loop? This doesn't sound right - interested to find out how they're going to enforce.

No, not at all. Only the Trail Crest exit permit -- where you start on any other Inyo N.F. trail head, and then exit via Trail Crest and the MMWT (Main Mt Whitney Trail). There is a quota of 25 per day on that one. It's always been in high demand since so many people want to start at Onion Valley or other places. 10 of the 25 are held back for walk-in requests, so people picking up their entry permits early enough are able to get one of those walk-ins. That one, I think, is probably the most difficult to offer for on-line pickup of any "no-shows". Unless the Wilderness Permit office would let people call in and ask for the Will Call, and at that time, see if there is an Exit slot available.

The exception to the Trail Crest Exit Permit requirement is that if you start from any other trail head, as in Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, or other national forests, the exit permit is not required.

Oh... I should point out: THIS year, it is ONLY the Mt Whitney permits that the cancellations and no-shows will be available online. If it works well, they hope to extend it to all the other trails.