Originally Posted By: Steve C

If I were trying this, I would definitely have a gps with the trail set on it, and use that to find and (approximately) follow where the trail goes. Cell phones are capable of doing this, but they suck up battery juice fast.

May is the time for hikers with more experience. Go and try, but don't be crazy. Follow your instincts and turn around when you feel you are in over your skill levels. And by all means, stick together!!! The mountain will always be there, so you can try again later. In fact, come May 1 at 7 AM, you might try to grab the un-claimed permits for a later date -- say July.

So are you saying my phones GPS will actually pick up out there? I have digital maps through all trails and map my hike apps but was assuming they wouldn't work? I have several paper copies of the trail vut the digital that tracks where we are on our route would be much better. Battery use is a non issue. I always have back up batteries on hikes just in case.
The three of us are experienced hikers but our first time on Whitney. We are "practicing" by doing the Tahoe Triple (freels peak, jobs sister and jobs peak) this Friday and Pyramid Saturday. Mountains we've summitted in Summer but not in the winter..adding extra difficulty by doing so without snowshoes. smile

Last edited by Melissa; 04/15/19 12:14 PM.