Hi, Melissa. I’ve been watching this thread, but not adding my 2¢ because the advice from others is right on.

I’ve been up Whitney in all months of the year and in all kinds of weather. It is certainly possible to dayhike it in May. However, I would guess that at least half the first timers that attempt it under perfect conditions with no snow still fail. The altitude kicks a lot of people’s butts. Being superbly fit helps, but it does not guarantee immunity. Going in May this year reduces your chances. That doesn’t mean you should stay home, but you should be willing to head down when you have used up about 60% of your energy and daylight.

Cell phones will intermittently have coverage on the mountain. It depends on your phone, your carrier, where you are on the mountain, and dumb luck. You may be able to make calls, but don’t count on it. Tell your family not to report you missing just because they don’t get a call from the summit.

I have an Android phone with the Backcountry Navigator Pro (BCN) app. I create a .GPX file using a desktop PC and CalTopo.com. I load the .GPX file into my phone. While I’m at home, I also download the maps for wherever I’m going. I can then use the phone for navigation, even where there is no cell coverage. It works great, but the GPS uses a lot of power. Turn it off when you’re not using it. There are other apps that work very much like BCN. I also carry an altimeter, a paper map, and a compass.

You have a month. Practice with your GPS and with your crampons and ice axe before you go. Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by bobpickering; 04/15/19 04:24 PM. Reason: typo