Originally Posted By: Melissa
So are you saying my phones GPS will actually pick up out there? I have digital maps through All Trails and map my hike apps but was assuming they wouldn't work? I have several paper copies of the trail vut the digital that tracks where we are on our route would be much better. Battery use is a non issue. I always have back up batteries on hikes just in case.
The three of us are experienced hikers but our first time on Whitney. We are "practicing" by doing the Tahoe Triple (freels peak, jobs sister and jobs peak) this Friday and Pyramid Saturday. Mountains we've summitted in Summer but not in the winter..adding extra difficulty by doing so without snowshoes. smile

Melissa, On those practice hikes, use the mapping apps to get practice using them. Cell phones use satellite gps signals to show your location on the online maps, so no cellular service required. But beware and monitor the battery. My iPhone 7 last summer was getting low, and every time I used it to check my location, the battery power dropped 1%! Bob P was giving me a hard time because his Android was cruising along without that juice problem. mad