I have an overnight permit to hike the main trail 6/29 to 7/1. Have been following all information sources closely each day and had essentially accepted the fact that I would not be attempting to summit Whitney this year, especially with the lack of official comms or update from Inyo. Even after receiving my reminder from rev.gov, yesterday I was expecting to receive a cancellation notice a few hours later or early today.

Just over an hour ago, to my amazement, I received an email from the Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permit Resources Supervisors office reminding me of my upcoming reservation and prompting me with instructions to “check in” by replying to the email with some details.

Still unsure, I called the number from the email (760-873-2483) and spoke with a person there who confirmed that they are reopening the main trail this Saturday and that their offices have been given the “green light” to issue permits via email, which can be printed, signed and officially used to hike/camp. This person also confirmed their would be no need to stop at the visitor center in Lone Pine to pick up any additional paper work. Still in disbelief but obviously very pumped as well.