Do any of you have any funny but true mountain stories to relate, amongst all this seriousness? I hope so, 'cause the gloomy weather in our local mountains is creating perfect conditions for cabin fever.

Okay, here's a true but funny story from many climbing seasons ago:

While I was sitting at the start of a route called the Great White Book (Tuolumne - Stately Pleasure Dome), contemplating a solo ascent, three male climbers appeared below me, dressed like girls, including one fellow decked-out like a cheer-leader (I can't remember which school...perhaps it was USF). They scrambling up to the base of a detached flake crack climb called the Hermaphodite Flake, as they spoke to each other in high-pitched feminine voices.

I asked what they were going to do, and was told, "We going to do the first transvestite ascent of the Hermaphodite Flake." Before starting their climb, one of them had a pinch of Red Man or something like it (out of character, what?) What followed was quite a performance of giggling and screaming. Eventually they topped-out, but not without a couple of truly frightening moments, as their act caused lapses in concentration.

Last edited by Bob West; 10/04/10 03:44 PM.