Originally Posted By: Burchey
Hey Ken. By source, I mean the person bagging on the Scouts. Perhaps they have a gay brother, or are an athiest themselves, etc. You'll find most folks don't argue without bias, and often that bias will cloud judgment and skew perspective. It's impossible to remove our personal experiences/standing from our ability to analyze a situation, but a wise person will consider all perspectives, and then try to judge accordingly. Easier said than done.

example: A person might be quick to criticize a bill from the Oval Office just based on the person sending it, not the specifics of the bill

I do not disagree with these statements. On the other hand, I get irritated when people assume that they know the motives of someone making a statement based on the content of the statement. It is better to try to discuss the subject rather than being lazy and judging the source in the absence of knowledge of the source.

In the case of the Boy Scouts, the organization has a right to discriminate in various ways because it is private. On the other hand, people who do not like the discrimination have every right to object to it. It does not matter if they are actually victims of discrimination, have a brother who is, etc.