Originally Posted By: Burchey
Just to clarify the dumping ground thing...our troop had a few disabled kids, but the majority were not disabled. The majority were just socially awkward and under-developed. These kids were not "cool" by any stretch of the imagination. That being said - I fit right in. We were a motley crew of dorks, to simplify things, but is that really such a bad thing? How often do the "cool" kids in school amount to much? My experience is that the majority (not all) peak in high school, and then it's all downhill from there. ...
While typing this list, I'm smiling in amazement that more of us didn't die during those years. We were idiots, as most pre-teen and teenage boys are.

As my teenage daughter would say... O....M....G.... lol.

In our Troop the absolute upper echelon "nerds" in our group consist of the Leaders... we sit around campfires during campouts and throw Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Princess Bride movie quotes at each other. The "bring with you" list for our last leader meeting included "Sorting Hat, magic wands, and poly-juice potion". Some of our leaders have been known to, on occassion, band together for non-scouting events such as Dungeons and Dragons role-playing parties.

That being said... I probably would have been forced to throttle the living daylights out of one of you boys. Oh wait... thats against the BSA's "Youth Protection Guidelines"... well then... you would have been dismissed from our trip... and if necessary other trips... and yes.. I really will call your Mother from our campsite in Utah to drive all the way from San Diego to come get you... and I don't care if you're Aunt lives just in the next town or county... I will only release you to your Mother or Father....