Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JMT - food supply at Bishop pass Tr. Jn & Kearsarge Lake
#12897 04/15/11 03:17 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Looking for info on food & gas resupply at Bishop Pass Tr jn (RS) on JMT and also at Kearsarge Lake Tr. Jn. near JMT. We have permits for JMT thru hike starting at Tuolumne Meadows on July 20 and ending on WP on Aug 11. I am looking for food resupply at these two points and could not get much help on the google. Any local supplier at Bishop or Independence I can directly contact?

According to current schedule:

1. our rest day at Bishop Pass Tr. Jn (near RS) is on Aug 1 (camping there on July 31 & Aug 1 nights).

2. Our rest day at Kearsarge first lake CG is on Aug 6 (camping there on Aug 5 & 6 nights. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: JMT - food supply at Bishop pass Tr. Jn & Kearsarge Lake
Krishna #12898 04/15/11 04:28 AM
B
B
In Bishop, try Wilson's Eastside Sports. http://eastsidesports.com/eastside/

They carry food for backpackers, but you'll have to hitch into town from the Bishop Pass trailhead. There is also a Von's supermarket.

Krishna #12908 04/15/11 08:15 AM
S
S
Welcome, Kr1sh!

When you write, "food & gas resupply at Bishop Pass Tr jn (RS)", do you mean someone BRING your resupply over Bishop Pass down to the trail junction?

If that is what you mean, then it is pretty difficult. You could hire a packer to bring it in, but would likely cost you over $500, since you pay for packer, his horse, and a mule. And they are very reluctant to do a hiker resupply, due to the logistics -- what if you aren't there when you said you would be? They cannot drop the resupply and leave.

So that leaves you with the option Bob talked about above: hiking out, hitching into Bishop, shopping, then returning. But that Bishop Pass exit is a 4000' climb out of the canyon! It would take you two days to go out and return.

JMT hikers usually resupply at Edison Lake (VVR --Vermillion Valley Resort) or Muir Trail Ranch, just one day south of VVR. Both have access from the west, and both will accept resupply packages shipped into them. No animal stock required.

I am not sure what you mean by "Kearsarge first lake CG", but it looks like you are looking to get a resupply over Kearsarge Pass. That one is a little easier, but still expensive. I believe the packers out of Onion Valley will charge something like $200 to bring a resupply into the Charlotte Lake Ranger Station, and the ranger there in the past has agreed to keep resupply packages for a short time for hikers. Not absolutely sure of this, though.

It would take about a full day to hike out over Kearsarge, hitch down from Onion Valley to Independence, and return. That might be your best option for the second resupply.

Sure hope this helps!

Steve C #12910 04/15/11 08:34 AM
G
G
Geez man, for $500, I'll happily shove your resupply package out the side door of a rented Cessna... you supply the parachute though!

One day I'd like to hike the entire John Muir Trail and not leave a single footprint. -Randy Morgenson
GandC #12919 04/15/11 11:16 AM
any reason you don't resupply at the usual locations? Bishop Pass is a massive detour, Kearsarge Pass is pretty off trail as well if you actually hike down to Onion Valley (where you can have food at the pack station for a fee).

The common resupply locations are Tuolumne Meadows store and post office (send to self, general delivery, hold until expected arrival date). Then at Reds Meadow resort (mail to them, they bring it down). Vermillion Resort at Lake T Edison and Muir Trail Ranch are the final two standard resupply locations. Most hike from the Muir Ranch without any further resupply.

detailed info on all these here (top right of the page):

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/Muir2009/information_links/information_links.htm

packers are not a good way to resupply, because not only are they expensive, you do have to meet them to receive your goods. If you don't get to the location as planned, they pack it out again. They cannot leave the food on the trail.

Most who don't want to carry all food from Muir Ranch to Whitney hike out at Kearsarge Pass and hitch a ride to Independence, where you can buy food or pick up a package you mailed to yourself at the post office. you lose more than a day, and at least I feel exiting the wilderness and having to re-enter spoils the whole JMT experience.

Fishmonger #12934 04/15/11 04:05 PM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
All:

Thanks for the ideas. I am a slow hiker - cant do more than 10 to 12 miles per day and want to enjoy the hike. Last year when we did the Onion Valley - WP we met several JMT thru hikers who were waiting at the Kearsarge first lake (there is a bear box at the camp site with several packages with names and dates for pickup)for their supply.

So my plan is, divide the TM to WP into 5 segments as follows:

1. TM to Reds Meadow - 3 days, apxly 30 miles, Resupply
2. Reds Meadow to Edison Lake (VVR) - 3 days, apxly 32 miles Resupply
3. Edison Lake to Bishop's pass Trail jn - 5 days, 45.7 miles Resupply
4. Bishop's Pass Trail to Kearsarge Lake - 5 days, 43.7 miles Resupply
5. Kearsarge Lake to WP - 5 days 42.2 miles

Other suggestions are: Start 4 days early, park at OV, hike 6 miles to Kearsarge Lake and drop the food & Gas parcel myself with name and date of pick up in the bear box, hike out and next day park at South lake and hike the 11 miles and drop the parcel in another bear box near RS and hike back and start the JMT hike on July 20th. May be good warm up smile

Any way started training and would continue to explore other possibilities.

Steve: You mentioned a packer who can deliver at the Kearsarge Point for $200/- can you please give some details? This may save one trip for me.

Thanks!

Krishna #12938 04/15/11 05:21 PM
21 days. I take it slow, too, but you guys must have some special requirements for so many resupplies? Meal planning can get that down to one (strict, but typical) or two (with lots of treats) certainly three (gourmet de luxe) at the outside. If you use Colin Fletcher's version of the Zone calorie allocation planning (which I heartily embrace), your total food supply will average over 6 calories per gram, over 175 per ounce.

With a typical calorie requirement, say 3500 per day, you are looking at 20 ounces or so of (dry) food per person per day. For 3500 calories/day, you get 10 days out of 12.5 lbs of dry food, maybe 15 lbs tops with some treats. As with most things, your mileage may vary from these estimates, and will for larger and smaller individuals, but they are very realistic.

Now, I dry and package all my own food, so I can nail calories and carb/protein/fat ratios and total calorie counts pretty close, customized for every party and trip, but you can accomplish the same thing with the commercial products. Even if you are paying retail for the best of the prepared vacuum/freeze/spray dry products, you can save a lot in time, bucks and trip integrity through meal planning.

Especially starting from Tuolomne, don't see why you can't do (and eat!) just fine with the usual resupply at Red's and/or Muir Ranch.

If I am missing something here, please let me know, because I am doing the JMT (HI to WP) in 2012 based on these calculations!

Last edited by saltydog; 04/15/11 05:22 PM.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
Krishna #12940 04/15/11 05:26 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: kr1sh
All:

Thanks for the ideas. I am a slow hiker - cant do more than 10 to 12 miles per day and want to enjoy the hike. Last year when we did the Onion Valley - WP we met several JMT thru hikers who were waiting at the Kearsarge first lake (there is a bear box at the camp site with several packages with names and dates for pickup)for their supply.

So my plan is, divide the TM to WP into 5 segments as follows:

1. TM to Reds Meadow - 3 days, apxly 30 miles, Resupply
2. Reds Meadow to Edison Lake (VVR) - 3 days, apxly 32 miles Resupply
3. Edison Lake to Bishop's pass Trail jn - 5 days, 45.7 miles Resupply
4. Bishop's Pass Trail to Kearsarge Lake - 5 days, 43.7 miles Resupply
5. Kearsarge Lake to WP - 5 days 42.2 miles

Other suggestions are: Start 4 days early, park at OV, hike 6 miles to Kearsarge Lake and drop the food & Gas parcel myself with name and date of pick up in the bear box, hike out and next day park at South lake and hike the 11 miles and drop the parcel in another bear box near RS and hike back and start the JMT hike on July 20th. May be good warm up smile

Any way started training and would continue to explore other possibilities.

Steve: You mentioned a packer who can deliver at the Kearsarge Point for $200/- can you please give some details? This may save one trip for me.

Thanks!

I have a 14 year old who might be interested in dashing over the pass in OV to drop off a package for $200. smile

I might be able to help you out around 1 AUG. Just depends on how my JMT hike goes.

I'm attempting to do the JMT without a resupply. That's the plan, we'll see how the warm up hike goes. I might be getting a taste of reality. smile............................DUG

Last edited by DUG; 04/15/11 05:46 PM.
DUG #12943 04/15/11 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: DUG

I'm attempting to do the JMT without a resupply... smile............................DUG

Awesome. No resupply, no shave. My dream. grin

DUG #12944 04/15/11 05:44 PM
Hey, DUG, I think you may be on to something. With a little coordination and logistical expertise, this board could turn into a really effective tool for resupply and other forms of mutual support.

We all know of course, you can't conduct commercial ops in the NP or NF w/o official government license, etc, but . .

If someone is hiking to the JMT/PCT/HST from the east with resupply, and someone else can get to Kearsarge, Shepherd Pass Trail, Tyndall, Wallace Creek etc. with a couple of extra spaces for a trip exiting the Whitney MT, or some other reason for the parties to hook up, seems like there could be some . . uh . . . efficiency gains.

SPOTMe!
Jean-Guille #12948 04/15/11 05:56 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Jean-Guille

I'm attempting to do the JMT without a resupply... smile............................DUG

Awesome. No resupply, no shave. My dream. grin

Keep in mind that 60 hours is the longest I've been on the trail. To do th JMT with resupply I would need:

1. Some sherpas to help get me to the Whitney Summit. I am NOT counting the 11 miles from the Portal to the Summit as part of my hike so I don't consider this really cheating. Once I leave the summit I'm on my own.

2. I need to maintain 20+ mile days for ALMOST 10 days. My goal is UNDER 10 days or 9 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes or better.

3. I need good weather and a lot of luck.

Everything hinges on the practice hike from OV - South Lake. That will be a 5 day trip because my son needs it for a scout award. It's 60+ miles so there won't be any 20+ mile days. We will try for some 15+ mile days in the middle.

If it turns out I can't string multiple days together than I will section hike it.

PCTers often have to load up nearly 10 days of food in some sections, but they aren't making huge miles. I plan to be very well fed prior to starting at the summit and I might be a little hungry getting into Happy Isles. I might allow myself a burger if it's feasible. Not sure yet.

Of course if something crazy happens and I get a J O B it could really screw things up......................DUG

saltydog #12949 04/15/11 06:00 PM
D
DUG Offline
D
Originally Posted By: saltydog
Hey, DUG, I think you may be on to something. With a little coordination and logistical expertise, this board could turn into a really effective tool for resupply and other forms of mutual support.

We all know of course, you can't conduct commercial ops in the NP or NF w/o official government license, etc, but . .

If someone is hiking to the JMT/PCT/HST from the east with resupply, and someone else can get to Kearsarge, Shepherd Pass Trail, Tyndall, Wallace Creek etc. with a couple of extra spaces for a trip exiting the Whitney MT, or some other reason for the parties to hook up, seems like there could be some . . uh . . . efficiency gains.

If someone wants to pay for my gas (my lil Geo Metro gets 42 mpg) and buy me a burger to just haul a box over Kersarge that's hardly a Commercial Operation. That's called hooking a brother up. smile And if it works out that I was gonna be in the area anyway, I wouldn't even ask for gas......................DUG

DUG #12953 04/15/11 07:40 PM

I'm attempting to do the JMT without a resupply. That's the plan, we'll see how the warm up hike goes. I might be getting a taste of reality. smile............................DUG

In October, after all resupply places close for the season (and the JMT is deserted), I'll try something like that, too. I may still be able to use VVR - some years they stay open into mid October, but apart from that it's all going to be one Bearikade, food for Tuolumne Meadows to the Portal. 10-11 days if the weather is nice, 15 or more if not, and pretty hungry if VVR is closed when I get there.

Krishna #12959 04/15/11 10:27 PM
S
S
kr1sh wrote:
> Steve: You mentioned a packer who can deliver at the Kearsarge Point for $200/- can you please give some details? This may save one trip for me.

I am just not sure about this. An Onion Valley packer is not listed on the official "List of Pack Outfits (MS Word doc)" from the Inyo N.F. web site.   However, searching the web, I found this phone number, 760-387-2797 associated with "Onion Valley Pack Station". It is the same as that listed for the Pine Creek Pack Station on the Inyo list. I'd call that number and ask.

And just so you know, caching resupplies in bear boxes in the wilderness is against the rules. It may be done, but rangers (or other hikers) could remove your cache.

Steve C #12966 04/16/11 07:00 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Steve et all:
Thanks for the serious and lighter vein on the info. I am carrying "findmespot" gizmo and it should not be difficult to track us down for an accurate rendezvous at the Le Conte Canyon RS or Charlotte Lake RS in case we slip or makeup time. Thanks for pointing out that its against rules to stash food in bear boxes. So no Kearsarge Lake trip. I wont. So no warm up hikes:( Would explore other possibilities!

Last edited by kr1sh; 04/16/11 07:01 AM.
DUG #12968 04/16/11 07:11 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
DUG:
That's very interesting! Last year we met a sturdy, muscular hiker at Wallace Creek, Reinhold Metzger, who did JMT in 5days, 7 hrs and some minutes. He is an ex-Marine and is planning a Yo-Yo to beat his own record. Obviously no resupply to worry about! When I shook hands with him, the JMT bug bit me!

Krishna #12972 04/16/11 10:27 AM
C
C
To expand on Steve's post. Phone # is OK for Pine Creek and or Sequoia/Kings Canyon Packers. You can also call toll free 1 800 962 0775. Another possible phone # in Bishop is 760 387 2627.

You will be in contact with Dee or Brian Berner. I have used them before as have others. They will pack your gear over Kearsarge Pass into Charlotte Lake by the Ranger Station where there is a Bear Box.

Here is an e mail address I have used to contact Dee Berner quite a few times: Pinecreekps@aol.com

The Berners own both Pine Creek and the Sequoia Pack Stations. All contacts, phone and e mail are good to reach them. They are reliable, honest and great people to work with.

CMC2 #12987 04/16/11 05:31 PM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
CMC2:
Thanks! Would start on the contacts mentioned. Now there seems to be some hope in actually planning this hike. I dont want to rush thru JMT as many suggested. In the past I did try 15 miles per day hikes (trans-sierra in 2008) and missed many landmarks including shorty's cabin near Colby pass. So I will stick to light pack, slow pace, short breaks, enjoy the view and meditate!

Krishna #12995 04/16/11 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: kr1sh
CMC2:
slow pace, short breaks, enjoy the view and meditate!

Oh , yeah . . . heaven.

Last edited by saltydog; 04/16/11 06:48 PM.

SPOTMe!
DUG #13005 04/17/11 03:08 AM
K
Krishna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
[quote=Jean-Guille][quote=DUG]
Keep in mind that 60 hours is the longest I've been on the trail... smile............................DUG

Is this the Highway 180-Colby Pass-WP-Nonstop you did in 2008?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard